Napoli powers Rangers past Red SoxApr 19, 2012 - 7:24 AM
Josh Hamilton was also 3-for-4 and had an RBI and a run scored, while Derek Holland (2-0) went seven strong innings, allowing two runs on fours hits and three walks with seven strikeouts for the Rangers, who have won six straight to open the season 10-2.
"We're playing good baseball and we're doing it in different ways," Texas manager Ron Washington said.
Josh Beckett (1-2) suffered the loss despite retiring the final 12 batters he faced. He gave up three runs on seven hits and one walk with seven strikeouts over seven frames. Kevin Youkilis hit a two-run blast in the losing effort, the Red Sox's third in a row.
Napoli gave Texas the lead in the fourth inning with his third homer in two games, a resounding blast into the seats in left with David Murphy aboard to make it 3-2.
"I made one big mistake, the pitch to Napoli and ultimately it was bad for me and bad for the team," Beckett said.
Napoli increased the Rangers' advantage in the eighth. Franklin Morales spelled Beckett and gave up a single and two walks -- one intentional -- before bringing Hamilton home by hitting Craig Gentry on the foot with a pitch. Napoli then laced a two-run double off the wall for a 6-2 edge.
The Red Sox threatened in the bottom of the ninth. Joe Nathan walked Cody Ross and Youkilis reached second two batters later on Adrian Beltre's throwing error. Pinch-hitter Ryan Sweeney knocked in Ross with a single before a sensational play by Brandon Synder.
With Jarrod Saltalamacchia pinch-hitting, Snyder jumped to snare a liner down the first base line. Sweeney was running on the apparent extra-base hit, so Synder jogged to first for the game-ending unassisted double play.
Boston opened the scoring in the second. After David Ortiz doubled, Youkilis lifted Holland's 2-2 sinker over the Green Monster.
Josh Hamilton trimmed Texas' deficit to 2-1 on an infield single in the third, plating Kinsler. The Red Sox escaped further damage because Elvis Andrus was caught trying to stretch a base hit off the left-field wall into a double, and Beckett got out of the 32-pitch inning with a strikeout of Nelson Cruz.
It was the fourth home run of the season for Napoli...Hamilton has 12 RBI...Boston continues a nine-game homestand by welcoming the Yankees on Friday...Texas concludes a nine-game road trip with a four-game set at Detroit beginning Thursday.
- TEXAS: 6
Apr 18 10:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Sweeney single to center scored Cody Ross with one out. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Darnell McDonald due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 3 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 18 10:08 PM
- Mike Napoli double to center scored Adrian Beltre and Nelson Cruz with one out. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 18 9:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Craig Gentry was hit-by-pitch, scoring Josh Hamilton with one out. Bases loaded and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 18 9:31 PM
- Mike Napoli none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored David Murphy. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 18 8:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton infield single to second scored Ian Kinsler with two outs. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 18 7:58 PM
- Kevin Youkilis none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored David Ortiz. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rangers 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 18 7:41 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21