Red Sox top Jays in openerJun 2, 2012 - 6:13 AM
Buchholz (5-2) also reached a season-high in strikeouts, with seven, and gave up just two runs -- on homers to Yunel Escobar and David Cooper. He yielded six hits and walked a pair.
"It sort of came together tonight," said Buchholz. "I was able to get some weak contact in some big situations."
Ortiz had a solo homer, Gonzalez went 3-for-5 and Daniel Nava hit three doubles for Boston, which has won 15 of its last 21 games.
Henderson Alvarez (3-5) took the loss for Toronto, which was coming off a three-game sweep of the Orioles. He allowed four runs on eight hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Ortiz's 13th homer of the season -- a towering leadoff blast which barely cleared the wall in left-center field -- put the Red Sox on top in the second.
It was 2-0 an inning later when Nava ripped a two-out double and crossed the plate on Gonzalez's single to left.
The Blue Jays' first hit came in the bottom half, when Escobar belted a two- out homer to left-center. They placed runners at first and second in the fifth inning but a Kelly Johnson strikeout and a 6-4-3 double play groundout by Escobar promptly ended the threat.
The Red Sox loaded the bases in the sixth and only came away with one run -- on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's fielder's choice groundout -- but scored four in the seventh to put the game away.
Ryan Sweeney led off with a ground-rule double, moved to third on a groundout and scored on Scott Podsednik's two-out single off of Luis Perez. Nava plated Podsednik with a double before Gonzalez and Ortiz laced consecutive RBI singles to make it 7-1.
Cooper hit his first homer of the season in the home half to cap the scoring.
"(Buchholz) was throwing the changeup really well tonight," said Cooper. "It was really tough to pick up. He had a good heater too. It was running, it had good life on it. He threw well."
Buchholz has won each of his last six road starts against the Blue Jays since July 7, 2009. It is the longest-ever win streak in consecutive starts by a visitor at Toronto...Ortiz has hit 30 homers in 95 career games at Rogers Centre. It stands as his most home runs in any park other that Fenway.
- BOSTON: 7
Jun 1 10:08 PM
- David Cooper two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Rajai Davis due up.
Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 1 9:22 PM
- David Ortiz single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. On the play, David Ortiz out at first, right to short to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 1 Mid 7Jun 1 9:18 PM
- Daniel Nava double to center scored Scott Podsednik with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 9:14 PM
- Scott Podsednik infield single to second scored Ryan Sweeney with two out. Runner on first and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 9:12 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Daniel Nava with one out. On the play, David Ortiz out at second and Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 1 8:51 PM
- Yunel Escobar two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Jose Bautista due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 1 8:02 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Daniel Nava with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 1 7:55 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia lined out to center. None on with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 1 7:31 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21