Red Sox take series from Marlins with offenseJun 14, 2012 - 4:23 AM
Adrian Gonzalez added three hits and drove in a pair for the Red Sox, who took the final two games in the series to erase a four-game losing skid. Nick Punto went 2-for-2 and knocked in two for the victors, while Dustin Pedroia and Scott Podsednik each had two hits, an RBI and two runs scored.
Felix Doubront (7-3) worked seven innings for the win, allowing three hits and two runs while fanning nine. The left-hander held the hosts hitless into the sixth inning.
"Felix was outstanding. He had all of his arsenal tonight," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. "Explosive fastball, curveball was thrown for strikes early and late...that was just good pitching."
Jose Reyes homered and Justin Ruggiano knocked in the other run for the Marlins, losers in eight of their last nine.
Ricky Nolasco (6-5) was charged in defeat for five hits and four runs -- three earned -- over six full frames.
Doubront failed to allow a hit through the first 5 2/3 innings until Reyes launched a ball deep into the left-field seats. In the Miami seventh, Hanley Ramirez singled and Giancarlo Stanton doubled to start the frame, then Ramirez came in on a Ruggiano fielder's choice grounder to make it 4-2.
Boston stole back the momentum in the eighth with six runs on RBI singles from Pedroia, Gonzalez and Ortiz, a two-run pinch-hit single by Punto along with a Jarrod Saltalamacchia sacrifice fly.
After Doubront exited, Vicente Padilla, Andrew Miller and Matt Albers combined to allow one hit and two walks over the final two innings.
"We're very bad...very bad, I will not deny it," said Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen. "No sense in getting down about it. We're not playing well, so they came out and kicked our butt."
The Sox picked up a run in the third as Mike Aviles singled, moved to second on a Doubront sacrifice and scored on a Podsednik base hit.
It was 2-0 in the fourth on a one-out solo shot from Ortiz, then 4-0 in the sixth as Gonzalez singled home Podsednik and an Ortiz fly to center brought in Pedroia.
Boston improved to 17-10 against the Marlins all-time, including an 8-4 mark in south Florida...Doubront has won three of his last four starts...Nolasco had dropped five of his last seven outings...The Red Sox hit the double-digit mark in runs for the 10th time this season and first since May 13.
- BOSTON: 10
Jun 13 10:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nick Punto singled to left scored Darnell McDonald and Will Middlebrooks. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Scott Podsednik due up.
Red Sox 10, Marlins 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 13 9:27 PM
- Ryan Sweeney lined out to center. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 8, Marlins 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 13 9:21 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 7, Marlins 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 13 9:14 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to right scored Nick Punto. On the play, Scott Podsednik advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 5, Marlins 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 13 9:11 PM
- Justin Ruggiano grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scored Hanley Ramirez. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton thrown out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Red Sox 4, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 13 8:57 PM
- Jose Reyes two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Donovan Solano due up.
Red Sox 4, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 13 8:39 PM
- David Ortiz sacrifice fly out to center scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 4, Marlins 0 Top 6, 1 OutJun 13 8:31 PM
- Will Middlebrooks struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 2, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:02 PM
- Scott Podsednik grounded out second to first scored Mike Aviles. None on with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 13 7:46 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 13 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21