Aviles the hero as BoSox trim RangersJul 25, 2012 - 5:44 AM
Daniel Nava and Jarrod Saltalamacchia worked a pair of two-out pinch-hit walks against Joe Nathan (1-3) before Aviles slapped a looping base hit just over the outstretched glove of a leaping Elvis Andrus at shortstop, which plated Nava to make it 2-1.
"A couple of walks and a bloop, and we win," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
Alfredo Aceves worked around a two-out walk to nail down his 21st save of the season in the home half.
Boston had lost each of its three meetings against Texas this year while being outscored 33-7.
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz surrendered a run on four hits and three walks, while the Rangers' Martin Perez lasted six innings, allowing a run on five hits and two walks.
Andrus had two hits, extending his streak to 11 games, and a run scored for Texas, which has dropped four of its last six.
"We had some chances, we just didn't get the hit," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "They (Boston) ended up delivering."
Both teams were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position before Aviles' single in the ninth.
Adrian Beltre left the contest in the eighth inning after being struck in the batting helmet with a fastball by Vicente Padilla (4-0), who picked up the win with a scoreless frame.
The Red Sox opened the scoring in the fourth. Cody Ross worked a leadoff walk and after Will Middlebrooks flied out and Carl Crawford struck out, Kelly Shoppach brought Ross home with a double to right, which David Murphy was unable to haul in at the warning track.
Texas, though, tied the contest in the sixth. Andrus ripped a one-out double to right, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scampered home on Josh Hamilton's groundout to shortstop, making it a 1-1 game.
Kinsler was picked off first base in the first and was ejected for arguing the call...Boston's Brent Lillibridge, who was designated for assignment on July 16, was traded to the Cleveland Indians earlier Tuesday in exchange for minor- league pitcher Jose De La Torre.
- BOSTON: 2
Jul 24 11:30 PM
- Mike Aviles single to left scored Daniel Nava with two outs. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 2, Rangers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 24 11:19 PM
- Josh Hamilton ground out second to first scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. None on and Adrian Beltre due up.
Red Sox 1, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 24 10:07 PM
- Kelly Shoppach double to right scored Cody Ross with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 1, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 24 9:21 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21