Swisher strokes Yankees past Red SoxAug 18, 2012 - 3:20 AM
Hughes (12-10) allowed four hits and four unearned runs to snap a two-start losing streak.
"I thought he really pitched tonight," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He threw more change-ups tonight than he's probably done in four or five starts combined. He threw them to right-handers, left-handers and that really kept them off balance."
Rafael Soriano retired the side in order in the ninth inning for his 30th save.
Curtis Granderson, Russell Martin and Derek Jeter also went deep for the AL East leaders, who won for the eighth time in 10 games. Jayson Nix knocked in the go-ahead run in the sixth inning.
Franklin Morales (3-4) was touched for six hits, including four homers, and five runs over 5 1/3 innings on a soggy night.
"I tried to throw my pitches. When you miss, that's going to happen," Morales said.
Dustin Pedroia, who turned 29 on Friday, smacked a three-run homer in the third inning to give the Red Sox a 4-3 lead.
The Yankees nearly went ahead in the bottom of the same inning, but with a runner aboard right fielder Scott Podsednik reached up at the wall to take away an extra-base hit from Robinson Cano.
The Yankees came back with the tying run in the fifth, a two-out blast to left field from Jeter.
New York went ahead the following inning when the Red Sox removed Morales. Casey McGehee and Granderson singled to put runners at the corners. Clayton Mortensen fanned Russell Martin, but Nix gave the Yankees the lead by reaching out on an 0-2 pitch and lining a single to right field.
Swisher, who homered batting right-handed in the first inning, clubbed one to right-center with one out in the seventh.
Carl Crawford doubled in the top of the eighth, but David Robertson rebounded to retire the next two batters.
It started raining after the first out was recorded and intensified just after Granderson and Martin hit back-to-back homers to right field in the second inning.
Boston rallied with the help of an error on Hughes in the third inning. Mike Aviles singled, but Podesdnik hit what looked to be a tailor-made double play ball back to the mound.
Hughes threw the ball wildly to second and into the outfield. Pedro Ciriaco's fielder's choice created a 3-1 margin. Jacoby Ellsbury walked, and two batters later, Pedroia homered to left field.
It was the 19th multi-homer game of Swisher's career, including the 12th time from both sides of the plate ... The Red Sox have lost 10 of their last 14 contests with their division rival. At 16-15, the Red Sox are the only AL team with a winning record at the new Yankee Stadium, which opened in 2009 ... Jeter has a 13-game hitting streak ... Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira sat out due to a sore left wrist, while Cano returned to a starting role after being limited to a pinch-hit role Thursday because of a stiff neck ... The Yankees lead the season series, 7-3 ... It was Jeter's 250th career homer.
- BOSTON: 4
NEW YORK: 6
Aug 17 9:59 PM
- Andrew Miller enters the game for the Red Sox with none on and one out.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 17 9:26 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 5 End 6Aug 17 9:11 PM
- Derek Jeter two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Nick Swisher due up.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 17 8:38 PM
- Dustin Pedroia two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Pedro Ciriaco and Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 17 7:59 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Mike Aviles. Scott Podsednik out at second. Runner on first with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 7:51 PM
- Russell Martin one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Jayson Nix due up. NOTE: The Home Runs were hit back-to-back.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 17 7:34 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (31) to right. Russell Martin due up.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 17 7:33 PM
- Robinson Cano struck out looking. None on with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 17 7:21 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21