Red Sox use late rally to outlast Blue JaysSep 15, 2012 - 7:01 AM
Mauro Gomez added two hits, two RBI and scored three times for the Red Sox, who won for just the third time in their last nine. Daniel Nava also contributed a pair of hits and drove in two runs.
"That's what we needed tonight, so I'm glad I could provide it," Lavarnway said.
Chris Carpenter (1-0) recorded the final two outs of the eighth for his first major league win, and Andrew Bailey shut the door in the ninth for his third save.
Adam Lind and Brett Lawrie both totaled two hits and an RBI for the Jays, losers in three of their last four since a four-game win streak.
Darren Oliver (3-3) was charged with the go-ahead run in one-plus relief innings.
Deadlocked at 5-5, Jacoby Ellsbury began the final frame with a single, and Oliver gave way to Casey Janssen, who retired Mike Aviles on a fly to right before Cody Ross singled. That set up a Gomez triple which eluded Anthony Gose in right and scored two runs and Lavarnway's sacrifice fly to make it 8-5.
Bailey allowed a Rajai Davis single with two out in the home half but fanned Colby Rasmus swinging to end the game.
The Jays broke through in the third, thanks to a pair of wild pitches by Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka. He loaded the bases with one out by plunking Moises Sierra and issuing walks to Gose and Rasmus, then threw wild twice with Lawrie at the plate allowing two men to score. After Lawrie walked, a Lind groundout scored the final run of the frame.
Boston answered in the fourth as Ross walked, Gomez singled and Lavarnway ripped a three-run shot to left.
"I lost it there for a little bit," Blue Jays starter Aaron Laffey said. "I was just not getting the job done."
Two more came home in the Red Sox fifth as Nava singled with the bases loaded and two out, but the hosts chipped away with a run in the sixth on Yunel Escobar's RBI single and one more in the eighth as Lawrie doubled home Rasmus with none out.
Carpenter had gone 13 previous appearances (10 with the Cubs in 2011 and three with the Red Sox this year) without recording a decision ... Boston improved to 12-29 since August 1 ... With a victory on Friday, the Jays could have set a new single-season franchise record for consecutive wins over the Sox at seven ... Their 6-game win streak heading into the game was their longest since a similar run from June 2-11, 1988 ... Matsuzaka allowed three hits, four runs and walked three in 5 1/3 innings, while Laffey lasted just 3 2/3 frames, serving up three runs and four hits with three walks.
- BOSTON: 8
Sep 14 10:51 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway sacrifice fly to left scored Mauro Gomez. None on with two out and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 5 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 14 10:41 PM
- Mauro Gomez triple to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury and Cody Ross. Runner on third with one out and Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 14 10:39 PM
- Yunel Escobar grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third. On the play, Brett Lawrie tagged out at third. Runner on first with two out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 14 10:22 PM
- Yunel Escobar stole second. Runner on second with two outs and J.P. Arencibia at the plate.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 14 9:31 PM
- Daniel Nava single to right scored Mike Aviles and Mauro Gomez. On the play, Ryan Lavarnway advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and James Loney due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 14 8:56 PM
- Daniel Nava grounded out third to first. None on with one out and James Loney due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:25 PM
- Adam Lind grounded out second to short to first scored Colby Rasmus. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 14 8:13 PM
- Colby Rasmus advances to third. Anthony Gose scored on a Matsuzaka wild pitch. Runner on third with one out and Brett Lawrie at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 14 8:11 PM
- Colby Rasmus advances to second. Anthony Gose advances to third and Moises Sierra scored on a Matsuzaka wild pitch. Runners on second and third with one out and Brett Lawrie at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 14 8:10 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21