Cubs spoil Cards home opener with early offenseApr 14, 2012 - 4:04 AM
"I knew I hit it good, but I haven't played in this park that much so I wasn't quite sure," LaHair said. "When it snuck over it was good."
Starlin Castro finished 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Cubs, who have won two in a row since a three-game losing streak.
Jeff Samardzija (2-0) did just enough to pick up the win, allowing five runs and 10 hits with five strikeouts over five innings.
Matt Carpenter collected two hits and drove in two runs for St. Louis, which has lost two in a row. Yadier Molina, David Freese and Jon Jay added an RBI each in defeat.
Adam Wainwright (0-2) lasted just three innings, charged with seven hits and eight runs in his first home start since September of 2010.
"We're seen so many positive things from [Wainwright] this year, he's been so far ahead of what all the expectations were [after missing the 2011 season due to Tommy John surgery]," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. "Today was just one of those games where you have to step back, gather yourself and figure out what you have to do differently."
Chicago's early outburst concluded in the fourth on a Soriano double-play grounder which boosted its lead to 9-0, then St. Louis finally awoke with a five-run fifth.
Shane Robinson started the rally with a leadoff pinch single, moved up on a groundout and scored on a Jay base hit. Two batters later Carlos Beltran singled to put men on the corners, then Freese and Molina added run-scoring hits before Carpenter's two-run triple made it 9-5.
Rafael Dolis, James Russell, Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol combined to shut the door from there.
Following a delay of one hour, 44 minutes due to rain, the Cubs felt the mojo, racking up a 4-0 lead five batters in. David DeJesus ripped a ground-rule double to start, Darwin Barney singled, then Castro singled in DeJesus and Stewart followed with a three-run blast.
It was 8-0 in the third. Castro walked with one out, Alfonso Soriano singled, Stewart drew a base on balls and LaHair cleared the fence in left center for a grand slam.
St. Louis won 10 of 15 over the Cubs last season...The Cards fell to 2-5 in home openers in the new Busch, which opened in 2006...Attendance was 46,882.
- CHICAGO: 9
ST. LOUIS: 5
Apr 13 7:42 PM
- Matt Carpenter tripled to center scoring David Freese and Yadier Molina. Runner on third with two outs and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cubs 9, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 13 6:37 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to left scoring Carlos Beltran. On the play, David Freese advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cubs 9, Cardinals 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 13 6:35 PM
- David Freese singled to right scoring Jon Jay. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 9, Cardinals 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 13 6:34 PM
- Jon Jay singled to right scoring Shane Robinson. Runner on first with one out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cubs 9, Cardinals 1 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 13 6:29 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double play groundout from short to second to first scored David DeJesus. Starlin Castro out at second Darwin Barney advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Cubs 9, Cardinals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 13 6:12 PM
- Bryan LaHair one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left-center scored Starlin Castro, Alfonso Soriano and Ian Stewart. Geovany Soto is due up.
Cubs 8, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 13 5:48 PM
- Ian Stewart one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro. Bryan LaHair is due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 13 5:07 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scoring David DeJesus. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 13 5:04 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 5:00 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21