Astros send Cubs to eighth straight lossMay 23, 2012 - 5:50 AM
Happ (4-3) fanned six and surrendered a run on five hits and two walks for the Astros, who have won five of their last seven games.
"I feel a little bit more relaxed out there and a little more in tuned with myself," said Happ. "I'm just trying keep building off that."
Travis Wood (0-1) made his second start in a Cubs uniform and allowed a pair of runs on two hits and two walks over 5 2/3 frames, while Alfonso Soriano drilled a solo homer.
Altuve belted a solo shot over the wall in left-center to lead off the game.
Happ's lone blemish came in the fourth frame when Soriano drilled a 3-2 belt- high fastball that caromed off the facade in left, which tied the contest 1-1.
Houston pushed across a two-out run in the sixth to take the lead. After Justin Maxwell walked, Shawn Camp replaced Wood on the mound. Camp allowed a free pass to Carlos Lee before Martinez, who was in a 5-for-56 slump, delivered with a single to right-center, which scored Maxwell for a 2-1 Houston advantage.
The Astros bullpen did the rest.
Wesley Wright worked a 1-2-3 seventh inning and registered the first out of the eighth. Wilton Lopez came on and allowed a single to Reed Johnson. Tony Campana pinch-ran for Johnson and scampered to third on a throwing error by Lopez. On the play, Carlos Lee retrieved the ball and his throw to third was in plenty of time, but Campana emphatically leapt over Matt Downs and although Campana went past the bag, he was able to crawl back in time safely.
But Starlin Castro and Soriano struck out to end the threat and Brett Myers fanned two in a 1-2-3 ninth for his 11th save of the season.
"We just can't seem to get anything going," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "Guy at third less than two outs and you get a couple strikeouts."
Chicago last lost eight in a row from May 30-June 7 of last season...Altuve has 18 multi-hit games on the year...Jed Lowrie extended his hitting streak to six games.
- CHICAGO: 1
May 22 10:53 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to right scored Justin Maxwell with two out. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Downs due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 22 10:09 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (4) to left center. Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 1 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 22 9:11 PM
- Jose Altuve lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Jed Lowrie due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 22 8:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21