Astros complete sweep of CubsMay 24, 2012 - 4:47 AM
Rodriguez (4-4) gave up one run on eight hits with five strikeouts while Carlos Lee went 3-for-4 with two runs scored for the Astros, who have won six of eight.
"I feel about the same, I just wasn't missing pitches tonight like I was in the past," said Martinez. "You know, I would foul pitches off, but I wasn't doing that tonight."
Reed Johnson hit a home run in the loss for the Cubs, who have dropped their past nine games. Jeff Samardzija (4-3) gave up two runs on six hits over six innings to take the loss.
"It's a learning experience and we need to take everything that's going on right now and remember it in the long run," said Samardzija. "When we get in this situation again, we'll know how to get out of it."
Johnson hit a one-out homer in the first to get the Cubs on the board, but that was it for the runs for the team.
Chicago stranded runners in each of the next eight innings, including men on first and second in the third and fifth and stranding Joe Mather at third in the sixth after he led off the frame with a double.
Houston didn't get on the board until the fourth, but did take the lead as Lee and Chris Johnson singled and Martinez brought them home with a triple for a 2-1 lead.
The eighth inning saw Houston put away the game. With two outs and men on first and second, Martinez singled home Lee. Jason Castro then walked and Matt Downs followed with a walk to score Johnson. Jose Altuve was then hit by a pitch to score Martinez for a 5-1 advantage.
Chicago went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10 men...Houston batted 2-for-7 with RISP and left nine on base...Houston plays three games in Los Angeles starting on Friday...Chicago starts a three-game set in Pittsburgh on Friday.
- CHICAGO: 1
May 23 11:05 PM
- Jose Altuve's hit-by-pitch scored J.D. Martinez with two out. Bases loaded and Jed Lowrie due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 10:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Downs' walk scored Chris Johnson with two out. Bases loaded and Jose Altuve due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 10:50 PM
- Jason Castro walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Brandon Lyon due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 10:46 PM
- J.D. Martinez triple to right scored Carlos Lee and Chris Johnson with two out. Runner on third and Jason Castro due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 23 9:20 PM
- Reed Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 23 8:10 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21