Soriano helps Cubs top Padres, snap 12-game slideMay 28, 2012 - 11:54 PM
Soriano finished with three RBI and scored twice, Ian Stewart and Starlin Castro each added two-run homers and three RBI and Darwin Barney smacked a solo shot as the Cubs put the brakes on a 12-game skid.
"It's been two weeks since we won a game," remarked Stewart. "A lot of guys are a little more relaxed in here. It's just a better feeling in the clubhouse."
Randy Wells (1-1) got the win despite allowing one run on three hits in just 1 2/3 innings in relief of starter Travis Wood, who surrendered six runs on seven hits and three walks over five frames.
Alex Hinshaw (0-1) absorbed the loss after serving up Soriano's two-run blast in the sixth. Jeff Suppan went five innings in the start, yielding six runs on six hits as the Padres dropped their fourth straight contest.
Chase Headley homered twice and knocked in three runs while Carlos Quentin went 1-for-4 with an RBI in his first game with the Padres after missing the first 49 games of the season while recovering from surgery on his right knee.
"When it's hot and you come here and the wind's blowing, you're going to be rewarded for good swings," remarked Headley about his two home run game.
After a double from Will Venable gave the Friars a 7-6 edge in the top of the sixth, Chicago responded in the bottom half as Bryan LaHair worked a leadoff walk before Soriano crushed his sixth of the year over the bleachers in left field to give the Cubs a one-run lead.
Castro's two-run blast in the seventh extended the margin to 10-7 before Stewart made it a four-run margin with an RBI single to score LaHair.
Earlier in the game, Quentin made his first plate appearance as a Padre worthwhile, lacing a two-out double into left field to score Chris Denorfia from third and give San Diego a 1-0 edge.
The Cubs responded with two in the bottom half as David DeJesus tripled to start the frame and Castro plated him with a single. Castro then swiped second, moved to third on a bunt and scored on a groundout from LaHair to give Chicago a 2-1 lead.
Barney's solo shot in the second made it a 3-1 game, but Venable answered in the third with a solo shot of his own to cut the difference in half.
San Diego used a pair of solo homers to jump in front in the fourth. Headley tied the game with a leadoff homer to center field before Everth Cabrera put the Padres on top with his first of the season two batters later.
Chicago battled back in the bottom half as LaHair started the frame with a double and quickly scored on Soriano's double to left to tie the game.
Stewart then provided the Cubs with a two-run lead when he crushed the 10th pitch of his at-bat over the wall in center field to make it 6-4, but the lead was short-lived, as Headley clubbed a two-out, two-run homer in the top of the fifth for his second of the day to knot the game, 6-6.
The Padres acquired Quentin in the offseason from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for minor league pitchers Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez...Yonder Alonso's hit streak ended at 10 games with an 0-for-5 performance...San Diego went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
May 28 5:30 PM
- Ian Stewart single to center, deflected by short scored Bryan LaHair with two out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Darwin Barney due up.
Padres 7, Cubs 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 28 5:02 PM
- Starlin Castro one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Reed Johnson. Joe Mather due up.
Padres 7, Cubs 10 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 28 4:53 PM
- Alfonso Soriano none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Bryan LaHair. Ian Stewart due up.
Padres 7, Cubs 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 28 4:20 PM
- Chris Denorfia lined out to third. Runner on second with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 7, Cubs 6 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 28 4:12 PM
- Nick Hundley doubled to center. Runner on second with two outs and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 6, Cubs 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 28 3:54 PM
- Ian Stewart none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Alfonso Soriano. Darwin Barney due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 28 3:41 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to left scored Bryan LaHair with none out. Runner on second and Ian Stewart due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 28 3:35 PM
- Everth Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Andy Parrino due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 28 3:25 PM
- Chase Headley lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Cubs 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 28 3:22 PM
- Will Venable one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 2, Cubs 3 Top 3, 1 OutMay 28 3:06 PM
- Darwin Barney one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Blake Lalli due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 28 2:59 PM
- Bryan LaHair grounded out second to first scored Starlin Castro with two out. None on and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 2:47 PM
- Starlin Castro single to center scored David DeJesus with none out. Runner on first and Joe Mather due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 2:43 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to left scored Chris Denorfia with two out. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third on Starlin Castro's throwing error. Runner on third and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 28 2:36 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 2:26 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22