Boesch powers Tigers past CubsJun 14, 2012 - 5:32 AM
Jhonny Peralta went 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Tigers, who bounced back from a 4-3 loss in the opener of this set on Tuesday. Ramon Santiago knocked in two runs.
"There's been a lot of talk about our win/loss record up to this point," said Boesch. "But we've been scratching out some wins lately and that's building character in this clubhouse."
Detroit starter Rick Porcello (4-4) gave up four runs on nine hits over five innings to pick up his first win since May 6. He struck out five and walked one.
Joe Mather, Tony Campana, Alfonso Soriano and Bryan LaHair each had an RBI for the Cubs, who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped.
Matt Garza (2-5) allowed five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits over six full frames to take the loss.
"It is what it is, you know," said Garza. "I'm just gonna do the same old thing and get ready for the next one. I felt great tonight and felt like I could of went further."
Trailing by three, 4-1, the Tigers scored four times in the sixth to go in front. Garza, who had retired eight straight batters, gave up a leadoff single to Boesch. Miguel Cabrera then reached first on third baseman Mather's fielding error. One out later, Delmon Young hit an RBI single to right. Peralta followed with a two-run double to right-center field. A bunt single by Gerald Laird put men on the corners with one out. Santiago's RBI groundout gave Detroit a 5-4 edge.
Boesch added a solo homer during the Tigers' next at-bat to make it a 6-4 game.
Detroit tacked on two more runs in the eighth to build an 8-4 margin. Peralta welcomed Jairo Asencio to the mound with a triple down the right-field line, which got past a sliding David DeJesus. Santiago struck out swinging after Laird walked. Pinch-hitter Quintin Berry hit an RBI single up the middle. Berry stole second with two outs to put men on second and third. Boesch's single to left knocked in Laird, but Berry was thrown out at the plate.
The Cubs put men on first and second with two outs in the ninth. Starlin Castro stepped to the plate and hit the ball deep to left-center field. Austin Jackson made a nice catch against the wall to end the game.
The Tigers got on the board in the second inning. Young reached base when he grounded into a fielder's choice. Peralta followed with a single and Laird was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Santiago plated a run when he grounded out.
But the Cubs responded with two runs in the bottom of the frame. Steve Clevenger doubled, moved to third on Darwin Barney's single and raced home on Mather's base hit to left. A sacrifice bunt by Garza put runners on second and third. Campana drove in a run when he grounded out, making it a 2-1 game.
Chicago tacked on two more runs in the fifth to take a 4-1 lead. Castro singled to right and crossed the plate on Soriano's two-out double down the left-field line. LaHair added an RBI double to left-center field. A wild pitch moved LaHair to third, but Clevenger flied out to end the inning.
Garza's stretch of 16 consecutive home starts having allowed three or fewer earned runs is the longest for any Cubs pitcher since Mark Prior did so in 16- straight home starts from September 30, 2004-September 28, 2005...The Cubs were trying to win five straight home games for the first time since July 22- August 6 of last season...Chicago third baseman Ian Stewart missed the game due to a sore left wrist.
- DETROIT: 8
Jun 13 11:08 PM
- Quintin Berry remains in the game, playing left field, replacing Delmon Young.
Tigers 8, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 13 10:41 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Quintin Berry singled to center scored Jhonny Peralta. On the play, Gerald Laird advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 7, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 13 10:35 PM
- Miguel Cabrera grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Cubs 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 13 10:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Don Kelly popped out to second to end the inning.
Tigers 5, Cubs 4 Mid 6Jun 13 9:54 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to center scored Miguel Cabrera and Delmon Young. Runner on second with one out and Gerald Laird due up.
Tigers 4, Cubs 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 13 9:51 PM
- Delmon Young singled to right scored Brennan Boesch. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 2, Cubs 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 13 9:48 PM
- Bryan LaHair doubled to left scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on second with two outs and Steve Clevenger due up.
Tigers 1, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 13 9:40 PM
- Alfonso Soriano doubled to left scored Starlin Castro. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan LaHair due up.
Tigers 1, Cubs 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 13 9:40 PM
- Tony Campana grounded out second to first scored Darwin Barney. On the play, Joe Mather advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Tigers 1, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 13 8:53 PM
- Joe Mather singled to left scored Steve Clevenger. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Matt Garza due up.
Tigers 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 13 8:50 PM
- Ramon Santiago grounded out second to first scored Delmon Young. On the play, Gerald Laird advances to second and Jhonny Peralta advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Rick Porcello due up.
Tigers 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 13 8:42 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 8:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22