Richard blanks Cubs as Padres complete sweepAug 9, 2012 - 3:37 AM
Richard (9-11) scattered five hits -- all singles -- and two walks while fanning five for the Padres, who completed a successful 5-1 homestand.
Will Venable and Yonder Alonso each knocked in a run for the victors.
Jeff Samardzija (7-10) took the hard-luck loss, Chicago's eighth straight, allowing just one run on four hits and two walks over seven innings.
San Diego only managed two hits against Samardzija in the first six innings, both coming in the second when Chase Headley led off with a double and scored on Venable's two-bagger to right.
Samardzija broke a bat over his knee after striking out in the seventh, perhaps frustrated from the lack of offensive production by his teammates.
The Cubs stranded runners on the corners in the second and sixth innings and had their leadoff hitter, David DeJesus, open the eighth with a base hit. But he was doubled off of first base when Darwin Barney lined out sharply and Anthony Rizzo grounded out to end the inning.
"The bottom line is we just all of a sudden stopped hitting," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It's not easy to win when you're not getting off to leads and putting crooked numbers up early in the game."
The hosts added an insurance run in the home half of the eighth as Alonso's bloop base hit to right plated Chris Denorfia.
Padres manager Bud Black opted to leave his starter in the game after he walked Starlin Castro with one out in the ninth.
"I thought he was throwing the ball very well. I thought he could finish," Black said after the game.
Richard responded by retiring the next two batters on a combined three pitches to finish his gem.
Richard threw 71 of his 110 pitches for strikes. His only other shutout came on September 21, 2010 against the Dodgers...The Cubs have been shut out three times in their last eight games...Alonso and Headley each had two hits.
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
Aug 8 8:54 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to left scored Chris Denorfia with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera out at second to end the inning.
Cubs 0, Padres 2 End 8Aug 8 8:49 PM
- Will Venable double to right scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second and Logan Forsythe due up.
Cubs 0, Padres 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 8 7:05 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 6:36 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22