Frazier helps Reds top CubsAug 11, 2012 - 5:04 AM
Ryan Ludwick had three hits, including a two-run homer, and scored four runs for the Reds, who improved to 20-8 since the All-Star break.
Homer Bailey (10-7) earned the win after giving up four runs on nine hits and striking out five over 5 2/3 innings.
Aroldis Chapman picked up his 26th save after recording the last out of the eighth before tossing a perfect ninth.
"It's a new day. We don't harp on what happened yesterday or the day before," Frazier said. "We just keep doing what we have to do. This is a pretty good win for us, putting 10 runs on the board is nice and getting the 'W', especially at a park like this is pretty nice."
Alfonso Soriano drove in three runs and Starlin Castro had two hits and two RBI for the Cubs, losers in nine of their last 10 games.
Justin Germano (1-2) was saddled with the loss after giving up six runs -- four earned -- on seven hits over 5 2/3 frames.
"You have to go out there and try to pitch around errors and minimize the damage," Germano said. "You have to go out there and shut the other team down to try and keep your team in the ball game."
Chicago had the bases loaded with no outs in the first but were only able to push one run across.
Soriano grounded into a fielder's choice to plate David DeJesus. Bailey struck out Castro before Josh Vitters grounded out to short to end the threat.
The Reds countered with two in the second to take a 2-1 lead. Ludwick singled to left, then scored on Frazier's double. After Germano intentionally walked Devin Mesoraco, Bailey singled to bring home Frazier.
Cincinnati tacked on three more in the third after sloppy defense and a two- run homer from Ludwick.
Brandon Phillips reached on an error before Ludwick belted his 20th homer of the season into the center-field seats. Xavier Paul followed with a single, stole second, then moved to third on a fielding error by Vitters. Mesoraco then ripped a grounder to short, but the ball went under Castro's glove and Paul scored easily.
The Cubs answered with two runs of their own in the home half. Darwin Barney and Anthony Rizzo singled, before both runners moved up on a wild pitch. Soriano then delivered with a double to clear the bases.
The Reds added a pair in the sixth to go up 8-3. Drew Stubbs singled, stole second then scored when Welington Castillo's throw sailed past Castro at second. Center fielder Brett Jackson charged, but missed the overthrow and the ball rolled past him, allowing Stubbs to score easily.
Phillips followed with a double, stole third, then scored on Frazier's base hit.
Castillo's double in the home half plated one and Castro knocked in two in the seventh to make it 8-6.
Castro singled to right before Castillo doubled off the wall with two outs in the sixth.
In the seventh, DeJesus walked and Barney singled to put two on for Castro, who ripped a double down the line.
The Reds scored one in eighth when Frazier singled to bring home Ludwick.
The Cubs scored two in the home half but left the game-tying run on third.
Jackson walked then scored on Castillo's double. DeJesus later doubled to bring home Castillo. DeJesus moved to third when Barney grounded out, but the Reds turned to Chapman, who struck out Rizzo to preserve the lead.
"I'm a little upset today," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "There were a few things that were taken for granted today, and some things aren't acceptable when you take things for granted."
Zack Cozart's double in the ninth brought home Ryan Hanigan to cap the scoring.
Bailey won for the first time since July 20th....Frazier leads all NL rookies with 44 RBI...Castro has 91 multi-hit games since 2011. He is also tied with Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez for the most errors in the majors with 18.
- CINCINNATI: 10
Aug 10 6:18 PM
- Zack Cozart doubled to left scored Ryan Hanigan. Runner on second with none out and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 10, Cubs 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 10 5:59 PM
- David DeJesus doubled to left scored Welington Castillo. Runner on second with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 9, Cubs 8 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 10 5:46 PM
- Welington Castillo doubled to left scored Brett Jackson. Runner on second with none out and Shawn Camp due up.
Reds 9, Cubs 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 10 5:41 PM
- Wilson Valdez popped out to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 9, Cubs 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 10 5:27 PM
- Josh Vitters grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Reds 8, Cubs 6 End 7Aug 10 5:14 PM
- Welington Castillo doubled to right scored Josh Vitters. Runner on second with two outs and Alberto Cabrera due up.
Reds 8, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 10 4:38 PM
- Todd Frazier singled to right scored Brandon Phillips and Ryan Ludwick. On the play, Frazier advances to second on the throw and Xavier Paul advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Wilson Valdez due up.
Reds 8, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 4:27 PM
- Drew Stubbs stole second and scored on Welington Castillo's throwing and Brett Jackson's fielding errors. None on with two outs and Brandon Phillips at the plate.
Reds 6, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 4:18 PM
- Alfonso Soriano doubled to left scored Darwin Barney and Anthony Rizzo. Runner on second with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 10 3:25 PM
- Devin Mesoraco reached first on Starlin Castro's fielding error scored Xavier Paul. On the play, Wilson Valdez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 10 3:17 PM
- Ryan Ludwick one-out, two-run Home Run (20) to center scored Brandon Phillips. Xavier Paul due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 10 3:08 PM
- Homer Bailey singled to center scored Todd Frazier. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 10 2:50 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to left scored Ryan Ludwick. Runner on second with one out and Wilson Valdez due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 1 Top 2, 1 OutAug 10 2:45 PM
- Alfonso Soriano grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored David DeJesus. Anthony Rizzo out at second. Darwin Barney advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 10 2:36 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 2:21 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21