Ludwick, Reds top CubsAug 12, 2012 - 12:55 AM
Todd Frazier went 2-for-3 with an RBI single, while Brandon Phillips had three hits and Ryan Hanigan added two hits for the Reds, who have won two straight on the heels of a five-game losing streak.
The late-inning rally made a winner out of Bronson Arroyo (8-7), who allowed two runs on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts over eight innings. Aroldis Chapman secured his 27th save of the season with a perfect ninth inning.
"They put two (runs) on me early, and that hurt us," Arroyo said. "It was definitely one of the most gratifying wins I've had in a long time."
David DeJesus laced a two-run single and James Russell (5-1) was tagged with the loss after allowing three runs on five hits in the eighth for the Cubs, who have dropped 10 of their last 11 games.
Starter Travis Wood pitched well against his former club, despite getting a no-decision. He allowed just one run on five hits with eight strikeouts and a walk over seven innings.
"To step up like that against the right-handed lineup and his former team was great," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It was as impressive an outing as he's had all year."
After struggling to get good swings against Wood all afternoon, the Reds struck for three off of Russell to take control of the game.
Drew Stubbs got things rolling with a double into left and Phillips poked a single into left to put runners on the corners. Ludwick then delivered the big blow, a slicing double which landed just fair down the line in left to plate Stubbs and Phillips. Wilson Valdez got the Reds an insurance run with an RBI single later in the frame.
Chapman came on in the ninth and retired the side in order.
Earlier, Chicago plated their only runs of the game in the second inning. Luis Valbuena doubled, Bryan LaHair walked and Steve Clevenger singled to load the bases with one out. After Wood fanned, DeJesus laced a base hit up the middle, scoring both runners.
The Reds cut the deficit in half in the fourth when Phillips doubled and hustled around to score on a single by Frazier.
Chicago fell to 14-7 in their last 21 home games...It was Wood's first career appearance against Cincinnati. He went 11-10 with a 4.18 ERA through 39 games (35 starts) in two seasons with the Reds. The left-hander was traded to Chicago in the offseason in a deal that sent reliever Sean Marshall to Cincinnati...The Reds have won five of the eight meetings between the teams this season and improved to 18-8 since All-Star first baseman Joey Votto left the lineup on July 16...Arroyo improved to 10-9 in his career against the Cubs...Prior to the game, the Cubs activated pitcher Lendy Castillo and optioned pitcher Scott Maine to Triple-A Iowa.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Aug 11 6:49 PM
- Wilson Valdez singled to right scored Chris Heisey. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 11 6:15 PM
- Ryan Ludwick doubled to left scored Drew Stubbs and Brandon Phillips. Runner on second with none out and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 11 6:10 PM
- Todd Frazier singled to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 5:00 PM
- David DeJesus singled to center scored Luis Valbuena and Bryan LaHair. On the play, Steve Clevenger advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 0, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 11 4:35 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 4:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21