Volstad wins second straight against GiantsSep 1, 2012 - 12:02 AM
Volstad (2-9) limited the National League West leaders to two runs on five hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings. The Chicago right-hander had snapped a 24-start winless streak in his last outing Sunday.
"Since he's been back, he's done a pretty good job," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said about Volstad. "There haven't been no big blowups. He's been pitching fairly deep into the games and shutting guys down pretty good."
Madison Bumgarner (14-9) pitched only four frames for the Giants, allowing five runs -- four earned -- on six hits and two walks.
"(Bumgarner) was a little bit off today," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Buster Posey finished 3-for-3 with a walk and two RBI for San Francisco, which had won six in a row on the road and was coming off a three-game sweep in Houston.
After capping a three-run ninth-inning rally with a walk-off hit Thursday against the Milwaukee Brewers, Soriano picked up right where he left off in his first two at-bats on Friday.
Soriano opened the scoring in the first with a two-out single that plated Joe Mather, who had walked to begin the inning and later stole second base.
The Cubs pushed four runs across -- all with two outs -- in the third, and Soriano's hot bat came through again. After the first two batters were retired, Soriano followed an Anthony Rizzo single with a home run to left field, his 24th of the season.
Chicago then took a 4-0 lead on Welington Castillo's RBI double. Starlin Castro, who singled, scored on a close play at the plate. Castillo hit a shot off the left-field wall. Gregor Blanco hit cutoff man Joaquin Arias, who threw a strike to the plate. Posey lost the ball after applying a sweep tag to Castro. The ball wound up rolling away from the plate, and by the time Bumgarner retrieved it, Castillo was able to score as well.
The Giants got on the board in the fourth when Pablo Sandoval scored from first on a two-out double by Posey.
After Rizzo clubbed a leadoff home run -- the ball initially was ruled to have been in play, but overturned after a video review -- off George Kontos in the fifth, Sandoval plated Angel Pagan with a sacrifice fly in the next frame.
Volstad was removed after walking Posey and giving up a single to Hunter Pence. Jeff Beliveau retired Brandon Belt on a deep fly ball to right for the final out.
Cubs reliever Shawn Camp, appearing in his 500th career game, gave up singles to three of the first four batters he faced in the eighth. Posey drove in Pagan and Ryan Theriot scored on a Pence groundout, trimming San Francisco's deficit to 6-4.
Carlos Marmol earned his 17th save with a flawless ninth.
The Cubs improved to 11-2 against NL West teams at Wrigley Field this season, but are winless against those clubs on the road (0-13) ... Chicago had lost five straight to the Giants, including a four-game sweep from June 1-4 ... Marmol notched his 112th save to tie Randy Myers for third-most in team history ... Before the game, the Cubs recalled Beliveau from Triple-A Iowa and optioned pitcher Brooks Raley to the minors.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Aug 31 5:33 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded out third to first scored Ryan Theriot. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 31 5:10 PM
- Buster Posey singled to center scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 6 Top 8, 1 OutAug 31 5:08 PM
- Buster Posey walked. Runner on first with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 6 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 31 4:18 PM
- Anthony Rizzo lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 31 3:58 PM
- Buster Posey doubled to center scored Pablo Sandoval. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 5 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 31 3:31 PM
- Welington Castillo doubled to left scored Starlin Castro. On the play, Castillo advances home on Buster Posey's fielding error. None on with two outs and Brett Jackson due up.
Giants 0, Cubs 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 3:20 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to left scored Anthony Rizzo. Starlin Castro due up.
Giants 0, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 3:13 PM
- Starlin Castro lined out to right to end the inning.
Giants 0, Cubs 1 End 1Aug 31 2:45 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 2:22 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21