Nady, Lincecum lift Giants over CubsSep 1, 2012 - 11:51 PM
Nady made his Giants debut Saturday after having his contract purchased from Triple-A Fresno prior to the game. Hector Sanchez and Marco Scutaro added an RBI apiece for the victors.
Lincecum (8-14) gave up two runs on four hits for the Giants, who bounced back from a 6-4 loss in the series opener on Friday. He struck out seven and walked three.
"We know what's at stake and we know it's coming down to crunch time," Lincecum said.
David DeJesus hit a two-run homer for the Cubs, who had just five hits. Justin Germano (2-5) allowed five runs on six hits over five innings.
The Giants scored four runs in the first inning, all with two outs. Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey singled before Hunter Pence walked to load the bases. A run crossed the plate when Sanchez was hit by a pitch. Nady then cleared the bases with a double down the left-field line.
San Francisco tacked on another run in the second to make it a 5-0 contest. Angel Pagan tripled to right and scored on Scutaro's sacrifice fly.
The Cubs got on the board in the third. Darwin Barney walked and crossed the plate on DeJesus' homer to right. Chicago stranded a runner on third later in the frame.
The home team didn't advance a runner past second base for the remainder of the game.
"He knows how to get through lineups with his offspeed stuff and his change-up and curveball," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Lincecum. "It's not the same Cy Young stuff that we all remember him from."
The Giants lead the season series by a 5-1 margin ... Lincecum improved to 4-4 lifetime against Chicago ... The Cubs recalled outfielder Tony Campana, infielder Adrian Cardenas and outfielder Dave Sappelt from Triple-A Iowa on Saturday ... San Francisco activated infielder Aubrey Huff and pitchers Shane Loux and Brad Penny from the 15-day disabled list, recalled infielder Brett Pill from Fresno, purchased the contract of pitcher Jean Machi from Fresno and transferred infielder Freddy Sanchez to the 60-day DL.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Sep 1 4:16 PM
- David DeJesus one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Darwin Barney. Luis Valbuena due up.
Giants 5, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 1 2:11 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded out first to pitcher to end the inning.
Giants 5, Cubs 0 Mid 2Sep 1 1:43 PM
- Brandon Crawford flied out to left to end the inning.
Giants 4, Cubs 0 Mid 1Sep 1 1:24 PM
- Hector Sanchez hit-by-pitch Pablo Sandoval scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Xavier Nady due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 1 1:22 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 1 1:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21