Pagan, Scutaro lift Giants past CubsSep 2, 2012 - 11:52 PM
Chicago closer Carlos Marmol (2-3) was asked to keep the game tied at five and promptly walked Xavier Nady to begin the ninth. Pinch-runner Gregor Blanco then stole second and Brandon Crawford worked a one-out walk before Pagan delivered with a base hit to center field. Scutaro followed with another run- producing hit to give the Giants more breathing room -- the NL West leaders had blown a three-run advantage earlier in the game.
"That's a championship, first-place club putting those at-bats together," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum.
Santiago Casilla (6-5) gave up a one-out single to Darwin Barney in the bottom of the ninth. When Bryan LaHair was announced as a pinch-hitter, left-hander Javier Lopez was summoned from the bullpen.
Sveum countered with Joe Mather, but the move proved fruitless when Mather grounded into a game-ending double play.
"That's what you always try to do is take the series. That's how you have a good year," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
David DeJesus drove in the Cubs' first run with a single in the third off San Francisco starter Matt Cain and ripped another base hit with a man aboard in the fifth. Right fielder Hunter Pence bobbled the ball, enabling Darwin Barney, who had singled and advanced on a sacrifice bunt, to score.
Luis Valbuena followed with a walk before being erased at second on a fielder's choice. Alfonso Soriano then put Chicago on top by launching Cain's 1-0 offering over the wall in left-center for a three-run homer.
The Giants came right back in the sixth, tying the game with a two-out rally. Chicago starter Travis Wood was removed after Nady kept the inning alive with a double to right. Pinch-hitter Brandon Belt greeted Wood's replacement, Manuel Corpas, with an RBI triple to left and wound up scoring on a wild pitch from the Cubs reliever.
A defensive miscue by the Cubs aided in the Giants grabbing a 3-0 lead in the third.
Cain dropped down a sac bunt with one out, but reached on a throwing error by first baseman Anthony Rizzo. Pagan then knocked in Nady, who had drawn a leadoff walk, with a single to left. Wood retired the next batter, but Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey both contributed RBI singles.
The Giants haven't lost a road series since dropping two of three games at Pittsburgh from July 6-8 ... Soriano became the 10th player with at least four 25-homer seasons as a Cub.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
Sep 2 5:29 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to center scoring Brandon Crawford with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 7, Cubs 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 2 5:13 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to center scoring Gregor Blanco with one out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to second. Runners on first and second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 2 5:13 PM
- Manuel Corpas wild pitch scored Brandon Belt. None on with two outs and Aubrey Huff at the plate.
Giants 5, Cubs 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 4:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brandon Belt tripled to left scoring Xavier Nady with two outs. Runner on third and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 4:12 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, three-run Home Run (25) to left center scored David DeJesus and Anthony Rizzo. Starlin Castro due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 2 3:58 PM
- Anthony Rizzo grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. On the play, Luis Valbuena out at second and David DeJesus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 2 3:58 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scoring Darwin Barney with one out. Runner on first and Luis Valbuena due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 2 3:15 PM
- Buster Posey singled to right scoring Angel Pagan with two outs. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 2 3:07 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to left scoring Xavier Nady with one out. On the play, Matt Cain advances to second. Runners on first and second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 2 2:58 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 2:21 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21