ChiSox clobber Oswalt; Sale strong again in 19-2 routJul 4, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Chicago hurler Chris Sale, meanwhile, made his pitch toward a possible start in next week's All-Star Game with American League manager Ron Washington watching from the opposing dugout.
Sale sailed into the eighth, while Kevin Youkilis smacked his first homer as a member of the White Sox as Chicago trounced Texas, 19-2, in the opener of a three-game set.
Sale (10-2) surrendered a run on five hits and a walk while fanning four in 7 1/3 innings. The 23-year-old left-hander is 7-0 with a minuscule 1.67 ERA over his last nine starts.
"He pitched, changed speeds, didn't just use his fastball," Texas manager Ron Washington said of Sale. "We didn't do much against him...that's why he's 10-2, he's a pretty good pitcher."
Youkilis and Adam Dunn cracked back-to-back long balls in a three-homer opening frame. Alex Rios tallied the other, and A.J. Pierzynski cracked a round-tripper as part of a nine-run fifth for the AL Central leaders, who have won seven of their last 10 games. They racked up a season-high 21 hits in the blowout win.
"Great for our lineup, great for our team to have him in here," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said of Youkilis. "You get a lot more than just numbers...you get a good player that people feed off of and he makes your team better in a lot of ways."
In his first home game with Chicago since his trade from Boston on June 24, Youkilis had three hits and drove in four.
In his third start since making his Texas debut on June 22, Oswalt (2-1) was shelled for a career-high 11 runs -- nine earned -- on 13 hits and a walk in just 4 2/3 innings. The 34-year-old had won his first two starts despite giving up at least nine hits in each outing.
Despite the poor start, Oswalt remained optimistic.
"I feel better, third game back," Oswalt said. "I feel better and better every time I go out there...velocity is coming back...I kept the ball down a little more."
Chicago jumped all over Oswalt and Texas early, plating four in the first and three more in the second.
Alejandro De Aza slapped a leadoff single in the first and Youkilis followed with a two-run shot over the wall in left. Dunn then stroked his 25th bomb into the seats in right-center and Rios pulverized a solo homer into the bleachers in left-center for a 4-0 White Sox advantage.
Youkilis rolled a run-scoring base hit into left, Dunn added an RBI double and Paul Konerko registered an RBI single in the second, pushing the Chicago lead to 7-0.
The White Sox turned the game into a laugher following their nine-run fifth. Pierzynski hit a three-run shot, Alexei Ramirez and Rios both poked two-run singles, and Youkilis and Konerko each tallied run-scoring base hits in the frame.
Eduardo Escobar and Dayan Viciedo both scored on wild pitches and Jordan Danks lifted a sacrifice fly in a three-run seventh, while the Rangers finally got on the board in the eighth on Elvis Andrus' two-run double.
It was the 11th time in 15 starts that Sale allowed two or fewer earned runs...De Aza, Youkilis, Dunn and Rios scored three runs apiece...Rios had three RBI, while Konerko added two hits, two RBI and a run scored...Chicago was 10-for-15 with runners in scoring position, while Texas finished 1-for-7.
- TEXAS: 2
Jul 3 11:08 PM
- Leonys Martin grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rangers 2, White Sox 19 Mid 8Jul 3 10:53 PM
- Justin Grimm's wild pitch scored Dayan Viciedo. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to second and Alexei Ramirez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Alejandro De Aza at the plate.
Rangers 0, White Sox 19 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 3 10:38 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Bot 7, 1 Out
Rangers 0, White Sox 18 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 3 10:33 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski infield single to third. On the play, Eduardo Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Dayan Viciedo due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 17 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 3 10:29 PM
- Dayan Viciedo singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 16 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 3 9:56 PM
- Paul Konerko single to right scored Alejandro De Aza. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to second and Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 3 9:52 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left scored Alexei Ramirez. On the play, Alejandro De Aza advances to third Kevin Youkilis advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and Adam Dunn due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 3 9:50 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to left scored Alex Rios and Dayan Viciedo. Runner on first with one out and Gordon Beckham due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 9 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 3 9:42 PM
- Paul Konerko single to right scored Adam Dunn. Runner on first with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 7 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 3 8:52 PM
- Adam Dunn double to right scored Kevin Youkilis. Runner on second with one out and Paul Konerko due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 6 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 3 8:47 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left scored Alejandro De Aza. Runner on first with one out and Adam Dunn due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 3 8:44 PM
- Dayan Viciedo struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 3 8:30 PM
- Paul Konerko flied out to center. None on with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 3 8:25 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22