Inge lifts A's over White SoxAug 12, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Coco Crisp went 3-for-6 with three runs scored while Jonny Gomes hit a solo home run and drove in two for the Athletics, who have won three of their last four.
"We're always a hit or a break, whether it's the sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth inning, away. Fortunately enough, we've gotten those breaks and those big hits at home," said Gomes. "It's nice to get that on the road."
Oakland starter Travis Blackley was charged with five runs on six hits over just five innings of work. Ryan Cook (5-2) pitched 1 1/3 innings without giving up a run to get the win.
Tyler Flowers was 3-for-3 with a solo home run and three RBI while Kevin Youkilis added a two-run homer for the White Sox, who have dropped three of their last four.
Francisco Liriano gave up six runs on seven hits in his 3 1/3 innings of action. Matt Thornton (4-8) was charged with two runs in the eighth to take the loss.
"It's frustrating. I felt like I threw the ball well again and made one mistake to Jonny Gomes," admitted Thornton. "I thought it was a good idea to throw him a breaking ball and he jumped all over it."
Chicago took the lead of the game with an RBI single from A.J. Pierzynski in the seventh to make it a 7-6 contest, but the A's answered in the eighth.
With one out, Gomes tied the game with his 13th homer of the year. After Josh Reddick flied out, Yoenis Cespedes and Chris Carter followed with singles. Brett Myers then took the mound and Inge greeted him with a base hit to give Oakland an 8-7 lead.
Chicago left a man on base in the eighth and Gomes' run-scoring single in the ninth gave the A's some insurance.
Grant Balfour hit Youkilis with a pitch to start the inning, but retired the next three batters for his eighth save of the season.
Chicago went on top with a pair of runs in the second inning. Pierzynski led off with a single and Alexei Ramirez followed with a double. Dayan Viciedo knocked in one with a groundout and Flowers drove home another with a double for a 2-0 lead.
Oakland, though, responded with a big five-run third. Crisp singled with one out and Gomes followed with a walk. A fielder's choice from Reddick saw Gomes forced out at second, but Cespedes was then hit by a pitch. Carter's single plated two and, following a walk to Inge, Derek Norris' ground-rule double scored two more. An RBI single from Adam Rosales made it a 5-2 game.
The A's made it a 6-2 contest in the fourth when Crisp led off with a double and later scored on Reddick's single.
The White Sox chipped away at the deficit in the fourth when Viciedo's two-out double was followed by a single from Flowers for a 6-3 game.
In the fifth, Chicago made it a one-run game as Alejandro De Aza was hit by a pitch to start the inning and Youkilis followed with a homer off the top of the wall in center to make it a 6-5 contest.
Flowers tied the game in the sixth with his two-out, solo shot to left-center, his third of the season.
Oakland has won three of the five games against the White Sox this season...Oakland stranded 12 in the game, but did bat 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position...Chicago left seven and went 3-for-8 with RISP...Chicago recalled outfielder Dewayne Wise from Triple-A Charlotte prior to the game to take the spot of Paul Konerko, who was placed on the seven-day disabled list on Friday with a concussion.
- OAKLAND: 9
Aug 11 10:48 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to left scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 9, White Sox 7 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 11 10:34 PM
- Brandon Inge single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. On the play, Chris Carter advances to third. Runners on first and third and Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 8, White Sox 7 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 11 10:19 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 7, White Sox 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 11 10:09 PM
- Matt Thornton starts the inning for the White Sox.
Athletics 6, White Sox 7 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 11 10:05 PM
- Tyler Flowers two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Gordon Beckham due up.
Athletics 6, White Sox 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 11 9:25 PM
- Kevin Youkilis none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Alejandro De Aza. Adam Dunn due up.
Athletics 6, White Sox 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 11 9:05 PM
- Tyler Flowers singled to right scored Dayan Viciedo with two out. On the play, Tyler Flowers advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Gordon Beckham due up.
Athletics 6, White Sox 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 11 8:42 PM
- Josh Reddick single to center scored Coco Crisp with one out. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 6, White Sox 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 8:25 PM
- Jemile Weeks flied out to center to end the inning.
Athletics 5, White Sox 2 Mid 3Aug 11 8:12 PM
- Derek Norris ground-rule doubl to left scored Yoenis Cespedes and Chris Carter with two out. On the play, Brandon Inge advances to third. Runners on second and third and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 4, White Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 11 8:09 PM
- Chris Carter single to left scored Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick with two out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 11 8:02 PM
- Tyler Flowers advances to third on a Travis Blackley wild pitch. Runner on third with one out and Gordon Beckham at the plate.
Athletics 0, White Sox 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 11 7:46 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22