Ramirez leads Brewers past RedsMay 9, 2012 - 4:22 AM
Yovani Gallardo (2-3) earned the win, allowing two runs on four hits over six innings. He walked two, struck out eight and added an RBI single.
Cesar Izturis hit a solo homer for Milwaukee, which halted a three-game skid.
"They capitalized all day," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of the Brewers. "They got clutch hits all night long."
Homer Bailey (1-3) lasted just 3 2/3 innings and gave up six runs on six hits in the loss. Jay Bruce hit a two-run homer for the Reds, who had won two straight, including the opener of this three-game series on Monday.
Scott Rolen added an RBI double for Cincinnati. It was the 506th two-bagger of his career, which ties him with Babe Ruth for 48th on the all-time list.
The Brewers scored all of their runs with two outs.
They loaded the bases with two down in the first inning when Ryan Braun singled, Ramirez was hit by a pitch and Corey Hart walked. Lucroy followed with a two-run single to center.
Nyjer Morgan robbed Rolen of a potential home run in the second inning, leaping to the center field wall's apex and snaring the third baseman's long fly. In the bottom half he singled with two down, moved to second when Rickie Weeks walked and scored on Braun's ground-rule double to left.
In the fourth, Izturis and Morgan singled before Braun worked a two-out walk to load the bases and mark the end of Bailey's outing. Ramirez greeted J.J. Hoover with a three-run triple to right for a 6-0 lead.
"The key for a winning ball club is coming up with those big two-out hits," said Ramirez.
Gallardo helped himself in the fifth, following Lucroy's leadoff double with a two-out single up the middle.
Bruce made it 7-2 in the sixth when he homered on the heels of Brandon Phillips' double, but Izturis answered with a two-out blast an inning later.
Rolen's double plated Phillips and capped the scoring in the eighth.
The Brewers have won 54 straight games when taking the lead into the eighth inning...Izturis hit his first home run since July 10, 2010...Rolen now trails Rickey Henderson, who is 47th on the all-time doubles list with 510.
- CINCINNATI: 3
May 8 11:17 PM
- Scott Rolen doubled to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 8 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 8 10:57 PM
- Cesar Izturis two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Kameron Loe due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 8 10:44 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Brandon Phillips. Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 7 Top 6, 1 OutMay 8 10:16 PM
- Yovani Gallardo advances to second on a Sam LeCure wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Nyjer Morgan at the plate.
Reds 0, Brewers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 8 10:07 PM
- Aramis Ramirez tripled to right scored Cesar Izturis, Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Braun. Runner on third with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 8 9:47 PM
- Ryan Braun ground-rule double to left scored Nyjer Morgan. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 8 9:02 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scored Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Corey Hart advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Travis Ishikawa due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 8 8:39 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21