Reds get better of Tribe once moreJun 14, 2012 - 5:01 AM
Latos (5-2) followed Johnny Cueto's complete game on Tuesday by allowing just two runs on seven hits and a walk with seven strikeouts to earn the victory. Sean Marshall worked a perfect eighth and Aroldis Chapman allowed a run in the ninth, but recovered to record his seventh save of the season.
Brandon Phillips went 3-for-3 with a two-run home run and three RBI, while Ryan Ludwick and Jay Bruce also knocked in runs for the Reds, who have taken the first two games of this series against their intrastate rivals.
"I just go out there and and do the best I can do hitting in the four-hole," Phillips said. "I just try to protect Joey [Votto] as much as possible."
Jose Lopez blasted a solo home run, while Casey Kotchman and Johnny Damon added RBI for the Tribe, who have dropped three of their last four games.
Derek Lowe (7-5) allowed three runs on five hits over six innings in defeat. He struck out four but struggled with command and walked six batters.
"I thought Derek threw the ball well, but struggled with his command," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He walked a few guys, but other than that he made pitches when he had to."
Cincinnati broke a 1-1 tie in the fourth when Phillips singled to center, moved to second on a walk to Bruce, found third on a Frazier groundout and scored on a sacrifice fly to center by Ludwick to give the Reds a 2-1 edge.
The Reds extended their lead to 3-1 in the fifth when Chris Heisey led off the frame with a walk and scored later in the inning on a sac fly by Bruce.
Carlos Santana doubled leading off the Indians' sixth and came home on a groundout by Damon to cut the deficit to 3-2, but the Reds gave themselves some breathing room in the seventh.
Votto led off the frame by looping a base hit into left and Phillips got a fastball out over the plate from Indians reliever Nick Hagadone and deposited it in the left-field seats to make it a 5-2 game.
Lopez turned on a 100-mile-per-hour fastball from Chapman, sending it deep into the seats in left-center to make it 5-3 before Chapman got Shin-Soo Choo to fly out, ending the game.
Earlier. the Reds struck first with a run in their first at-bat. Wilson Valdez started the rally with a one-out walk, moved to second on a groundout by Votto and scored when Phillips laced a base hit up the middle.
Jason Kipnis beat out a bunt single to begin the Cleveland fourth. Santana walked and Michael Brantley singled to left, loading the bases with no outs. After Damon fanned, Kotchman grounded into a fielder's choice, which allowed Kipnis to score, tying the game at one.
Reds shortstop Zack Cozart missed his second consecutive game due to illness...Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer threw the ceremonial first pitch prior to Wednesday's game...Lopez's home run was just the third given up by Chapman. Albert Pujols and Luke Scott are the only other players to homer off Chapman...Brantley extended his hitting streak to a career-best 20 games...It was Phillips' second three-hit game of the season.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Jun 13 9:50 PM
- Jose Lopez two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 3, Reds 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 13 9:48 PM
- Brandon Phillips none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Joey Votto. Jay Bruce due up.
Indians 2, Reds 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 13 9:19 PM
- Ryan Ludwick flied out to right. None on with one out and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Indians 2, Reds 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 13 8:56 PM
- Jay Bruce sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Heisey with two out. Runners on first and second and Todd Frazier due up.
Indians 1, Reds 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 13 8:42 PM
- Ryan Ludwick sacrifice fly to center scored Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Indians 1, Reds 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:25 PM
- Casey Kotchman grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Jason Kipnis with two out. Michael Brantley out at second Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 1, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:11 PM
- Jay Bruce popped out to short to end the inning.
Indians 0, Reds 1 End 1Jun 13 7:25 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 13 7:13 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21