Reds edge PadresJul 8, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Devin Mesoraco and Homer Bailey each had an RBI and Todd Frazier scored twice for the Reds, who have won five of their last nine games.
Bailey (7-6) allowed four runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and fanned eight over 6 2/3 innings.
Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth to earn his 10th save of the season.
Chris Denorfia hit a solo homer and Logan Forsythe drove in a pair of runs for the Padres, who lost for the second time since winning six straight. Carlos Quentin chipped in with two hits, an RBI and a run scored.
Clayton Richard (6-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up all six runs on eight hits is six-plus innings.
The Reds took an early 1-0 lead in the first when Stubbs clubbed a solo homer to right field.
Denorfia roped a leadoff homer in the home half to knot it up at 1-1.
Cincinnati added a pair of runs in the fifth to go up 3-1. Frazier opened the frame with a double, moved to third when Heisey roped a single up the middle, then scored when Mesoraco grounded out. Bailey followed with a double to right to plate Heisey.
San Diego answered with a run in the home half to make it 3-2. Cameron Maybin singled before moving to second when Bailey's throw on a pickoff attempt skipped past Joey Votto at first. Forsythe followed with a single to left to plate Maybin.
Quentin's RBI single in the sixth tied the game at 3-3. Headley reached on Jay Bruce's defensive blunder before scoring on Quentin's base hit. Headley sent a routine fly to right and Bruce circled under it but dropped the ball, allowing Headley to take second base.
A three-run seventh put the Reds ahead 6-3. Frazier singled to open the frame then scored when Heisey followed with a homer to left center. A Mesoraco single cued the end of Richard's night.
Bailey welcomed Richard's replacement, Dale Thayer, with a sacrifice bunt before Zack Cozart ripped a single to left to put runners on the corners. Stubbs followed with a groundout to plate Mesoraco.
But the Padres wouldn't go away and added a run in both the seventh and eighth to make it 6-5.
In the seventh Will Venebale reached on a fielder's choice before moving to second on a Denorfia single. Alexi Amarista followed with a single to right to score Venebale. Headley struck out with Denorfia on third to end the frame.
Quentin opened the eighth with a single, moved to third on a Yonder Alonso base hit then scored on a Forsythe single.
Chapman's perfect ninth sealed the win for the Reds.
Reds manager Dusty Baker picked up his 1,530th career win...The Reds are 14-15 lifetime at Petco Park...Bailey won his second straight start...Richard failed to pitch seven complete innings for the first time in five starts and has yet to record a win in five career starts against the Reds...The Padres fell to 17-26 at home this season.
- CINCINNATI: 6
SAN DIEGO: 5
Jul 8 1:01 AM
- Logan Forsythe singled to left scored Carlos Quentin. On the play, Kip Wells advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alex Hinshaw due up.
Reds 6, Padres 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 8 12:35 AM
- Alexi Amarista singled to right scored Will Venable. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Reds 6, Padres 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 8 12:10 AM
- Drew Stubbs grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Devin Mesoraco Zack Cozart out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 6, Padres 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 7 11:51 PM
- Chris Heisey none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Todd Frazier. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 5, Padres 3 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 7 11:42 PM
- Yonder Alonso struck out swinging to end the inning.
Reds 3, Padres 3 End 6Jul 7 11:36 PM
- Logan Forsythe singled to left scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second the throw, Runner on second with one out and Clayton Richard due up.
Reds 3, Padres 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 7 11:14 PM
- Homer Bailey doubled to right scored Chris Heisey. Runner on second with one out and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 3, Padres 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 7 11:02 PM
- Devin Mesoraco grounded out second to first scored Todd Frazier. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 2, Padres 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 7 11:02 PM
- Chris Denorfia lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Alexi Amarista due up.
Reds 1, Padres 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 7 10:16 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 7 10:09 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 10:05 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22