Burnett, Pirates down red-hot RedsAug 5, 2012 - 8:44 PM
Burnett (14-3), who tossed a one-hitter in his last outing, was dominant once again. The right-hander held the Reds to a pair of runs on three hits and three walks while striking out seven in 8 2/3 innings. Burnett has won four straight decisions and 13 of his last 14.
Starling Marte delivered the decisive blow, a two-run triple in the fourth inning, to push the Pirates past the Reds and avoid the sweep. It was Marte's first career triple.
Andrew McCutchen blasted a solo home run in the ninth inning, his 23rd of the season and first since July 17, a span which lasted 58 at-bats.
Drew Stubbs homered and scored twice for the Reds, who had won 15 of 16 coming into the game.
Homer Bailey (9-7) picked up his first loss since June 27 after getting roughed up for his second straight start. Bailey, who gave up six runs in 3 2/3 frames on Tuesday, was tagged for four runs on nine hits and a walk in 3 2/3 innings in the setback.
The Reds got on the board in the first inning after Stubbs walked, stole second and scored when Jay Bruce lined a double into the right-field corner.
Neil Walker put the Pirates on top in the second. Garrett Jones led off with a single, then Walker blasted a two-run shot to the right-field seats.
Stubbs lofted a fly ball over the right-field fence to tie the game in the third before Pittsburgh took the lead for good in the following inning.
Clint Barmes singled to advance Gaby Sanchez to third and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt to bring up Marte with runners on second and third. Marte crushed a long fly ball off the right-field fence, which was misplayed by Bruce and allowed Marte to cruise to third with a two-run triple, giving Pittsburgh a 4-2 lead in the fourth.
Pittsburgh tacked on two more in the ninth. McCutchen blasted a no-doubt shot to left field and Walker scored on a Todd Frazier error.
After the Stubbs homer, Burnett found his groove and retired 18 straight hitters before walking a pair with two outs in the ninth. Burnett was pulled and Frazier popped out against Joel Hanrahan, who nail down his 32nd save of the season as the Pirates escaped with the victory.
Burnett fell one out shy of back-to-back complete games for the first time since April 12 and 17, 2005...Sheen donated $50,000 to the Reds Community Fund...The Pirates trail the Reds by 4 1/2 games in the National League Central...The two teams have split six games this season...Walker tied a career high with his 12th home run of the season and tied Johnny Ray for third place in career home runs as a second baseman with 36...The Pirates are 9-1 in games in which Burnett has worked at least seven innings...Burnett has won six of his last seven road decisions...Pittsburgh went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12...the Reds went 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left three on base.
- PITTSBURGH: 6
Aug 5 4:17 PM
- Clint Barmes struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with two outs and A.J. Burnett due up.
Pirates 6, Reds 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 5 3:59 PM
- Andrew McCutchen lead-off Home Run (23) to left center. Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 5, Reds 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 5 3:47 PM
- Starling Marte triple to right scored Gaby Sanchez and Clint Barmes with two out. Runner on third and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 4, Reds 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 5 2:22 PM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 5 2:05 PM
- Neil Walker none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Garrett Jones. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 5 1:33 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 5 1:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 1:10 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21