Reds outlast Pirates in 14 inningsSep 11, 2012 - 5:30 AM
The Pirates squandered a bases-loaded opportunity with no outs in the top of the 14th as Alfredo Simon (3-2) managed to escape the jam. Pittsburgh also failed to score with the bags full in the 10th.
Mesoraco lined a single off the left-field wall to begin the 14th. Brandon Phillips then hit a dribbler in front of the plate. Catcher Michael McKenry tried to get the lead runner, but Mesoraco beat the throw to second base.
Rick VandenHurk (0-1), who had his contract selected from Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday, retired the next two batters before uncorking a wild pitch. Ludwick then hit a sharp grounder to shortstop. Chase d'Arnaud, whom the Pirates also recalled from Indianapolis, made a diving stop, but was unable to make the throw to first.
"I stunk the entire game. ... I'm just glad I got the job done in the 14th," Ludwick said.
Considering Pittsburgh southpaw Wandy Rodriguez owned a 13-inning scoreless streak and Mat Latos had stymied the Pirates in the past, it wasn't surprising that runs were at a premium.
Rodriguez had allowed only one hit -- a Chris Heisey solo home run -- prior to the seventh inning. He gave up a leadoff single to birthday boy Joey Votto, who was erased on a fielder's choice. Jay Bruce then hit a potential double- play grounder, but hustled to beat the shortstop Clint Barmes' throw and keep the inning alive.
Todd Frazier followed with an infield hit, triggering a pitching change. Jared Hughes replaced Rodriguez and promptly yielded a two-run double to Dioner Navarro that tied the game at 3-all.
Latos, meanwhile, pitched six innings for the Reds, surrendering three runs -- all in the fourth -- and five hits. The right-hander struggled a little with his command, walking four, but did match Rodriguez with five strikeouts.
Andrew McCutchen led off the Pittsburgh fourth with a home run to left field. Pedro Alvarez and Barmes both worked walks around a Jose Tabata ground-rule double, loading the bases for Rod Barajas. The Pirates catcher plated a run with a bloop single tight to the line in right that was nearly caught by the first baseman Votto. Rodriguez then helped his own cause by contributing an RBI groundout.
Rodriguez retired the first 10 batters he faced before serving up the home run to Heisey in the bottom of the fourth.
"Wandy pitched another fantastic game," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
The Pirates have lost seven straight road games ... Latos entered play 4-0 with a 1.67 ERA in five previous matchups against Pittsburgh. He struck out 16 over 13 1/3 scoreless innings over two outings earlier this season ... The Pirates were 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 15 men on base ... Votto celebrated his 29th birthday.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Sep 11 12:36 AM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to short scoring Devin Mesoraco with two out to win the game.
Pirates 3, Reds 4 Bot 14, 2 OutsSep 11 12:36 AM
- Xavier Paul is pinch-hitting for Wilson Valdez.
Pirates 3, Reds 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 10 9:22 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Joey Votto due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 10 8:24 PM
- Wandy Rodriguez grounded out, third to first, scoring Jose Tabata with two out. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to second and Clint Barmes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brock Holt due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 10 8:16 PM
- Rod Barajas singled to right, deflected by second, scoring Pedro Alvarez with one out. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to second and Jose Tabata advances to third. Bases loaded and Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 10 8:15 PM
- Andrew McCutchen lead-off Home Run (26) to left. Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 10 7:59 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 7:12 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21