Gomez helps Tribe blank MarlinsMay 20, 2012 - 1:52 AM
Gomez (3-2) struck out four batters in 6 1/3 innings, giving up three hits and two walks. Joe Smith, Vinnie Pestano and Chris Perez finished off the shutout with Perez fanning three in the ninth inning for his 13th save.
Asdrubal Cabrera's leadoff homer in the fourth was the only run the Indians needed for their fifth win in six games.
The Marlins had won the opener of the three-game series 3-2 on Friday to snap Cleveland's winning streak at four.
Marlins starter Anibal Sanchez (2-2) took a tough loss after throwing seven good innings. He struck out four, walked two and gave up two runs on seven hits.
"Sanchez was terrific," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "He's a tough guy to have a plan about because he throws any pitch at any time."
Cabrera belted one of those pitches, an 0-2 sinker, high in the air and over the right field wall for a 1-0 lead in the fourth, his fifth homer of the season.
The Indians tacked on a run in the fifth after Shelley Duncan and Shin-Soo Choo hit one-out singles and Duncan scored on Jason Kipnis' sacrifice fly.
The Marlins stranded a runner at third base in the third inning and didn't have another man in scoring position the rest of the game. They hit into double plays in the sixth and seventh innings -- the time they had runners on base.
"We couldn't get anything going," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said.
The Indians improved to 3-1 on an eight-game homestand...Gomez snapped a two- start winless streak (0-1) while Sanchez remained winless in his last three outings (0-2).
- MIAMI: 0
May 19 6:33 PM
- Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly to center scored Shelley Duncan. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Marlins 0, Indians 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 19 5:34 PM
- Travis Hafner was hit-by-pitch. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Santana due up.
Marlins 0, Indians 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 19 5:13 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 4:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21