Brantley, Kotchman help Tribe rout AngelsJul 5, 2012 - 1:19 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Michael Brantley and Casey Kotchman each launched a three-run home run on Wednesday as the Cleveland Indians clobbered the Los Angeles Angels, 12-3, in the finale of a three-game series at Progressive Field.
Asdrubal Cabrera went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI, while Shin-Soo Choo, Jason Kipnis and Lou Marson all knocked in a run for the Indians, who won for the fifth time in their last seven tries.
Derek Lowe (8-6) allowed three runs on 11 hits and no walks with one strikeout to collect the win. Nick Hagadone, Tony Sipp and Jeremy Accardo closed out the final three innings for the Tribe.
"We made them work, and put enough runs on the board that gave Derek enough cushion to relax out there," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He's been around, he knows how to pitch with a lead."
Ervin Santana (4-9) was rocked for eight runs on six hits and three walks in just 1 1/3 innings -- his shortest outing of the season -- to absorb the loss.
"It was obviously a rough outing," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Santana's effort. "He had a nice delivery, just couldn't get his fastball in a good zone."
Maicer Izturis drove in a pair of runs and Alberto Callaspo added an RBI with a sacrifice fly for the Angels, who have dropped four of their last six games.
Cleveland struck first with three runs in its first at-bat and never let the lead go when Brantley followed a pair of two-out walks to Kipnis and Travis Hafner by cranking a hanging slider from Santana just over the wall in right for his second long ball of the season.
Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo singled and Callaspo reached on a fielder's choice to load the bases with no outs in the Los Angeles second, but the Angels were only able to scratch across one run via an Izturis fielder's choice to cut the deficit to 3-1.
The Indians added six more runs in the second to blow the game open. Johnny Damon and Marson stroked consecutive base hits before Choo brought home Damon with a double and Marson was able to score on a groundout by Cabrera. Choo came home on a sharp single up the middle by Kipnis to make it 6-1.
Hisanori Takahashi took over on the mound following a single by Hafner and was greeted rudely by Kotchman, who ripped a fastball over the wall in right to make it a 9-1 game.
The Tribe tacked on three more runs in the fifth. Marson ripped an RBI single down the line in right, Choo grounded into a double play, which allowed Jack Hannahan to score, and Cabrera capped the frame with a ringing double off the wall in left to score Damon.
Los Angeles got two runs back in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Callaspo and a run-scoring base hit into right by Izturis.
Prior to Wednesday's game, the Indians activated Hafner from the 15-day disabled list and placed outfielder Shelley Duncan on the paternity list...Cleveland improved to 88-73 all-time on Independence Day and have won six of their last nine games on this date...Cleveland finished 7-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left just five on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 4 7:03 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to right scoring Mark Trumbo with one out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on first and third and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 3, Indians 12 Top 6, 1 OutJul 4 6:10 PM
- Alberto Callaspo sacrifice fly out to center scored Kendrys Morales with one out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Indians 12 Top 6, 1 OutJul 4 6:08 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera doubled to center scoring Johnny Damon with two out. Runner on second and Jason Kipnis due up.
Angels 1, Indians 12 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 4 6:00 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scoring Jack Hannahan with two out. Lou Marson out at second. Johnny Damon advances to third. Runner on third and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Angels 1, Indians 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 4 6:00 PM
- Lou Marson singled to right scoring Casey Kotchman with none out. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to second and Jack Hannahan advances to third. Bases loaded and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Angels 1, Indians 10 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 4 5:57 PM
- Casey Kotchman two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to right scored Jason Kipnis and Michael Brantley. Jack Hannahan due up.
Angels 1, Indians 9 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 4 5:02 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to center scoring Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Travis Hafner due up.
Angels 1, Indians 6 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 4 4:50 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera grounded out to first scoring Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runner on third and Jason Kipnis due up.
Angels 1, Indians 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 4 4:49 PM
- Maicer Izturis grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Kendrys Morales with two out. Alberto Callaspo out at second. Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 1, Indians 3 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 4 4:38 PM
- Michael Brantley two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jason Kipnis and Travis Hafner. Casey Kotchman due up.
Angels 0, Indians 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 4 4:23 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 4:06 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21