Twins rout IndiansJul 29, 2012 - 3:46 AM
Josh Willingham hit a two-run homer and Denard Span and Ben Revere both knocked in a pair of runs for the Twins, who won for the second straight game after dropping four of five.
Samuel Deduno (2-0) earned the win after giving up one run on two hits and five walks with six strikeouts over seven innings.
"(Deduno) has a lot of movement on his pitches, with him I just kind of sit in the middle and just tell him to aim down," Twins catcher Joe Mauer said. "He gave us a good start tonight, and that first inning he was kind of all over the place but he settled down and we played good (defense) behind him."
Carlos Santana hit a two-run homer and finished with three RBI for the Tribe, who have lost three of their last four.
Justin Masterson (7-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up 10 runs -- eight earned -- on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. Masterson retired the first 11 batters he faced, but struggled from that point until he was pulled in the sixth.
"They ate us up again offensively. Masterson started the game really good with a really good sinker, retiring the first 11 guys. After that he just struggled closing innings out," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "Eight of those 10 runs came with two outs, and a couple bad calls went against him, but still you have to close the inning out and he couldn't make pitches when he had to."
The Indians took a 1-0 lead in the first. Shin-Shoo Choo singled, stole second then moved to third when Jason Kipnis grounded out. Santana followed with a single to push Choo across.
Willingham's two-run homer in the fourth put the Twins up 2-1. Joe Mauer reached on a walk before Willingham clobbered his 27th homer of the season.
Minnesota added three in the fifth and five in the sixth and one in the seventh to go up 11-1.
In the fifth Danny Valencia reached on a throwing error and Brian Dozier singled before Casilla ripped a triple off the wall in right to clear the bases. Revere followed with a single to plate Casilla.
With the bases loaded in the sixth Casilla doubled to knock in two runs. Span followed with a two-run double of his own and Revere added an RBI base hit.
Valencia's double in the seventh scored Willingham and put the Twins up 11-1.
Santana hit a two-run homer in the eighth to make it 11-3.
But Minnesota got the run back in the home half on Mauer's RBI single.
The Indians were able to add two in the ninth, and had the bases loaded with two outs but Casey Fien struck out Santana to end the threat. Santana narrowly missed a grand slam that would have made it 12-9 but the ball curved foul.
Following the game the Twins dealt pitcher Francisco Liriano to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for infielder Eduardo Escobar and pitcher Pedro Hernandez.
Liriano is 3-10 with a 5.31 ERA in 22 games (17 starts) this season. The 28- year-old threw a no-hitter against the White Sox on May 3, 2011.
Escobar, 23, who is hitting .207 in 36 games this season, was traded only moments after the White Sox beat the Rangers, 5-2, Saturday night. Escobar went 2-for-5 with an RBI in that game.
Hernandez, a 23-year-old lefty, made a spot start for the White Sox on July 18 at Boston and allowed 12 hits and eight runs over four-plus innings in a 10-1 loss. He has also combined to go 8-2 with a 2.94 ERA in 15 appearances (14 starts) this season between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte this season.
Valencia snapped an 0-for-28 slump with his double in the seventh...The Twins have outscored the Indians 23-5 in the first two games of the series...Revere extended his hitting-streak to 11 games...Masterson is 1-5 in 12 career starts against Minnesota...The Indians are 7-42 when they are out-hit this season.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jul 28 10:05 PM
- Brent Lillibridge scored on Jason Kipnis' walk with two out. Bases loaded and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 5, Twins 12 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 10:01 PM
- Danny Valencia's throwing error scored Casey Kotchman with two out. Jose Lopez reached first. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second and Brent Lillibridge advances to third. Bases loaded and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 4, Twins 12 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 9:59 PM
- Johnny Damon grounded out first to pitcher. None on with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 3, Twins 12 Top 9, 1 OutJul 28 9:50 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Jose Lopez. Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 3, Twins 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 28 9:30 PM
- Tyler Robertson starts the inning for the Twins.
Indians 1, Twins 11 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 28 9:24 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Denard Span with two out. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Indians 1, Twins 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 28 9:00 PM
- Denard Span double to left scored Brian Dozier and Alexi Casilla with two out. Runner on second and Ben Revere due up.
Indians 1, Twins 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 28 8:56 PM
- Alexi Casilla double to left center scored Justin Morneau and Danny Valencia with two out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runners on second and third and Denard Span due up.
Indians 1, Twins 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 28 8:50 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Alexi Casilla with two out. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Indians 1, Twins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 8:26 PM
- Alexi Casilla triple to right center scored Danny Valencia and Brian Dozier with one out. Runner on third and Denard Span due up.
Indians 1, Twins 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 28 8:22 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Joe Mauer. Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 1, Twins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 28 8:06 PM
- Carlos Santana ground out third to first scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. Runner on second and Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 7:18 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 7:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21