Duensing helps Twins sweep IndiansJul 29, 2012 - 8:51 PM
Duensing (2-6) allowed one run and five hits to win as a starter for the first time this year. He had been dealt the loss in his first four starts of 2012, but helped the Twins to their third sweep of 2012 on Sunday.
Justin Morneau hit his 198th career homer among three hits, and Ben Revere drove in a pair of runs in the win for Minnesota.
Shelley Duncan had two hits and knocked in the lone run for Cleveland, which continued its slide down the AL Central standings. The Indians came into the weekend having taken two of three from Detroit, but this weekend's sweep might force the team into sell mode as the trade deadline approaches.
Ubaldo Jimenez (8-10) was shaky as usual, allowing five runs on six hits and three walks in 6 1/3 innings for the Indians.
Both pitchers matched zeroes for the first three innings, but Cleveland forged ahead when Asdrubal Cabrera, Michael Brantley and Duncan strung together three hits in a five-batter span to plate the game's opening run.
The lead was short-lived, however, as Morneau followed a Josh Willingham walk with a blast to right to put Minnesota ahead, 2-1, in the bottom of the fourth.
Revere added to the Twins' lead in the fifth when he doubled, moved to third on a balk and scored on a wild pitch, and Duensing allowed one baserunner in his final two innings.
After Alex Burnett pitched a perfect seventh for Minnesota, Revere provided some insurance with a two-run single in the bottom of the inning. The Indians put a baserunner on in each of the last two innings, but never mounted a serious threat to their deficit.
Minnesota leads the season series, 5-3, and has won the last five between the teams...The Twins' last sweep came against Oakland from May 28-30...The Indians fell to 6-11 since the All-Star break and are now 10-22 versus left- handed starters.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Jul 29 4:39 PM
- Joe Mauer flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 1, Twins 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 29 4:15 PM
- With Joe Mauer batting, Ben Revere scored on a Ubaldo Jimenez wild pitch with one out. None on and Joe Mauer at the plate.
Indians 1, Twins 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 29 3:33 PM
- Ryan Doumit struck out swinging. None on with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Indians 1, Twins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 29 3:15 PM
- Shelley Duncan singled to left scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 29 3:04 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 2:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21