Angels pound IndiansAug 16, 2012 - 5:39 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Ervin Santana finally won at home against the Cleveland Indians.
Santana pitched seven strong innings and Mike Trout hit one of two homers off Roberto Hernandez in his return to the majors under a different name, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim posted an 8-4 victory Wednesday night.
Hernandez (0-1), who played the first six years of his career under the identity of Fausto Carmona, gave up 10 hits and eight runs -- five earned -- over six innings.
Santana (6-10), who was winless in seven previous starts against the Indians at Angel Stadium, surrendered a run on four hits. He's 2-8 lifetime versus Cleveland, but has a four-start overall unbeaten string. His other win was a no-hitter July 27, 2011.
"I was able to keep the ball down tonight," Santana said. "I always think positive. I might not have the good results, but I know I'm a good pitcher. It's good to get all the offense we've had the last couple of nights."
Vernon Wells and Chris Iannetta each knocked in two runs for the Angels, who took the final two contests of this three-game series. Kendrys Morales had three hits and scored twice.
Shin-Soo Choo clubbed a three-run homer in the eighth inning for Cleveland.
It's been a tough road back to the majors for Hernandez, who was arrested on Jan. 19 outside the United States consulate in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, after it was discovered that he had been pitching under a false name. The charges were later dropped in exchange for community service, and Hernandez returned to the U.S. with a new visa on July 21.
Major League Baseball hit Hernandez with a three-week suspension, but he was reinstated from the restricted list on Saturday.
The Indians committed three errors during a five-run second inning. Morales and Mark Trumbo singled before both runners advanced on a wild pitch. Alberto Callaspo then lined an RBI single to left field.
It became 2-0 when shortstop Brent Lillibridge couldn't handle a grounder from Wells.
The trouble continued when Maicer Izturis bunted for a hit to load the bases, as catcher Carlos Santana couldn't come up with the barehanded pick-up. Iannetta followed with a sacrifice fly to center field.
Trout swiped second with two outs for his 29th consecutive steal, extending a club record. Santana made a poor throw to second and then the throw home from Lillibridge was way off target, as the lead expanded to 4-0.
Trout scored on Erick Aybar's triple into the corner in right field.
"Again, we won the second half of the game, but that second inning killed us," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "I thought Hernandez did OK. Unfortunately, we didn't play good behind him."
Morales scored on a grounder from Wells in the third inning and Trout delivered a homer to left the next frame.
Home plate umpire Greg Gibson suffered an injury above his left eye in the bottom of the fifth inning and was forced to leave the game.
Torii Hunter tried to score from first base on a double off the wall in right field by Morales. Hunter charged to the plate and seemingly avoided the tag by Santana. As Hunter completed his head-first slide, the spikes on his left foot hit Gibson in the face. Hunter was called out.
"I felt something on my heel," Hunter said. "Today I had my rubber spikes on. If I had my steel spikes, he could have been missing an eye. He's a tough guy. He was blessed that I didn't wear my steel spikes today."
The 43-year-old Gibson received medical attention to stop the bleeding and he was replaced by Manny Gonzalez, who moved from first base. Gerry Davis slid over from second to first base.
Asdrubal Cabrera doubled in a run in the top of the sixth, but Iannetta went deep to center field in the bottom half.
Indians right-hander Cody Allen escaped a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the eighth by getting Iannetta to ground into a double play. Allen has logged 12 1/3 consecutive shutout innings since having his contract selected from Triple-A Columbus July 20 ... The Angels have won seven of their last 10 home games against the Indians ... Angels first baseman Albert Pujols was given the night off and was out of the starting lineup for only the third time this season ... Hernandez is 0-4 lifetime against the Angels.
- CLEVELAND: 4
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 16 12:55 AM
- Shin-Soo Choo two-out, three-run Home Run (14) to center scored Jack Hannahan and Jason Kipnis. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 4, Angels 8 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 16 12:27 AM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Mike Trout due up.
Indians 1, Angels 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 11:59 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to right scored Ezequiel Carrera with one out. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 1, Angels 7 Top 6, 1 OutAug 15 11:48 PM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (22) to left. Erick Aybar due up.
Indians 0, Angels 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 15 11:16 PM
- Vernon Wells grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Kendrys Morales with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo out at second. Runner on first with Maicer Izturis due up.
Indians 0, Angels 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 15 10:57 PM
- Erick Aybar triple to right scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on third and Torii Hunter due up.
Indians 0, Angels 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 15 10:47 PM
- Mike Trout stole second. On the play, Vernon Wells scored on Carlos Santana's throwing error with two out. Mike Trout advanced to third on Brent Lillibridge's throwing error. Runner on third and Erick Aybar at the plate.
Indians 0, Angels 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 15 10:46 PM
- Chris Iannetta sacrifice fly to center scored Alberto Callaspo with one out. Runners on first and second with Mike Trout due up.
Indians 0, Angels 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 15 10:40 PM
- Vernon Wells reached first on Brent Lillibridge's fielding error scoring Mark Trumbo with none out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second with Maicer Izturis due up.
Indians 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 15 10:37 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to left scored Kendrys Morales with none out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on first and third with Vernon Wells due up.
Indians 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 15 10:35 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21