Hernandez keeps M's rolling at home with win over TribeAug 22, 2012 - 5:43 AM
Hernandez (12-5) allowed just one run on seven hits and one walk with five strikeouts to improve to 8-0 with a 1.53 earned run average over his last 12 starts.
"That's the best game I've ever pitched here at Safeco Field," said Hernandez. "In front of these guys, the crowd is unbelievable, all yelling, 'Felix, Felix,' that's something special right there."
Jesus Montero clubbed a three-run home run, John Jaso smacked an RBI double and Eric Thames added a solo shot for the Mariners, who have won 14 of their last 15 home games and seven straight overall.
Roberto Hernandez (0-2) pitched well in his second start of the season, yielding four runs on three hits and two walks over six-plus innings to take the loss.
"He was cruising up until that seventh inning, but he gave us an opportunity," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "I like the way he's thrown the ball."
Casey Kotchman registered two hits and knocked in the lone run for the Indians, as they lost their seventh straight game and dropped to 10-28 since the All-Star break.
Roberto Hernandez held the M's hitless over the first four-plus frames, but Thames got the home team on the board in a big way when he crushed a two-out blast into the right-field seats to give Seattle a 1-0 lead.
Cleveland finally broke through in the seventh as Carlos Santana smacked a one-out single before going first-to-third on Michael Brantley's base hit to right field.
Kotchman then ripped a single to center that skipped off the glove of shortstop Brendan Ryan, plating Santana to knot the game at 1-1.
Felix Hernandez then fired a pickoff attempt into center field to put runners on the corners, but a failed suicide-squeeze attempt caught Brantley between third and home before Justin Smoak applied the tag for the second out of the inning.
Brent Lillibridge went down swinging to end the frame.
Thames' homer in the fifth stood as Seattle's lone hit until the bottom of the seventh when Michael Saunders walked and Kyle Seager followed with a single through the right side of the infield to put runners on the corners.
Jaso then lifted a ground-rule double into left-center field to plate Saunders before Esmil Rogers entered for Roberto Hernandez and Montero crushed his fourth offering deep into the left-field seats to provide Seattle with a 5-1 edge.
With runners on the corners and two outs in the eighth, Lucas Luetge induced a groundout from Shin-Soo Choo to end the frame before working around a leadoff single in the ninth to nail down his second save of the season.
The Indians have lost 17 of their last 18 road games ... Felix Hernandez has not lost since June 12 against the San Diego Padres. He has allowed 17 earned runs over his last 100 innings pitched ... Cleveland went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Aug 22 12:29 AM
- Jesus Montero none-out, three-run Home Run (13) to left scored Kyle Seager and John Jaso. Eric Thames due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 21 11:56 PM
- John Jaso double to left scored Michael Saunders with none out. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jesus Montero due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 21 11:51 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to center scored Carlos Santana with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 21 11:41 PM
- Eric Thames two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Justin Smoak due up.
Indians 0, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 21 11:16 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 10:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21