Yanks double up Tribe to win seriesAug 27, 2012 - 2:21 AM
Curtis Granderson added a solo home run and Ichiro Suzuki registered two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Yankees, who wrapped up a six-game road trip at 2-4.
"To lose two series on a road trip is never good so it's good to go back home having won this one," said Granderson. "This helps get your mind and body ready for the division games we have ahead of us."
Boone Logan (5-2) earned the victory after tossing 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief of starter Freddy Garcia, who gave up two runs on four hits and two walks with six strikeouts over 4 2/3 innings.
Rafael Soriano recorded the final out of the eighth and worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to nail down his 33rd save of the season.
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-13) yielded three runs on eight hits and a walk over five frames to take the loss.
"I just couldn't find the strike zone or a good rhythm in the beginning," said Jimenez. "But after three innings of so I felt a lot better and was able to get some outs and keep it close."
Carlos Santana knocked in both runs for the Indians, who have lost 10 of their last 11 games.
The Yankees struck first in the second inning as Eric Chavez singled, Raul Ibanez walked and Suzuki followed with a line drive back up the middle that deflected off Jimenez's glove and skipped into center field, allowing Chavez to score from second for a 1-0 lead.
Chris Stewart's bunt moved both runners up before an RBI groundout from Derek Jeter pressed the margin to 2-0.
Swisher then delivered a two-out base-hit to left-center field to plate Suzuki for a three-run advantage.
The Indians finally broke through in the fifth with a pair of two out runs as Jason Kipnis kept the inning alive with a double into right field.
Asdrubal Cabrera was then hit by a pitch and Shin-Soo Choo walked to load the bases before Santana slapped a single into center field to score Kipnis and Cabrera to bring the home team within a run and chase Garcia from the game.
Logan entered and retired Michael Brantley to end the fifth before Granderson gave the Yankees some breathing room in the sixth when he crushed a leadoff blast for his 200th career home run to make it a 4-2 contest.
Logan then retired the Tribe in order in the sixth before giving up a one-out single to Kipnis in the seventh.
David Robertson replaced Logan and recorded the final two outs of the seventh. He then struck out Santana and Casey Kotchman around a single from Brantley in the eighth before giving way to Soriano, who induced a fly out from Matt LaPorta to end the frame.
Kipnis stole three bases ... Cleveland went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... Swisher is batting .378 (28-for-70) with 16 runs, six doubles, five home runs, and 18 RBI over his last 19 games since Aug. 7. He has hit safely in his last 16 games at Progressive Field, including all 14 contests as a Yankee.
- NEW YORK: 4
Aug 26 4:18 PM
- Curtis Granderson lead-off Home Run (33) to right. Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 4, Indians 2 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 26 3:03 PM
- Carlos Santana single to center scored Jason Kipnis and Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third with Michael Brantley due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 26 2:59 PM
- Nick Swisher single to left scored Ichiro Suzuki with two out. Runner on first and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 26 1:42 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to center scored Eric Chavez with none out. On the play, Raul Ibanez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Chris Stewart due up.
Yankees 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 26 1:37 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 1:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21