Twins outlast Tribe in 12 inningsSep 19, 2012 - 6:19 AM
Scott Maine (1-1), the 10th Indians pitcher used on Tuesday -- a new club- record for a single game -- gave up a two-out single to Darin Mastroianni, who promptly swiped second before Casilla hit a grounder to the right side of the infield.
Second baseman Jason Kipnis managed to field the ball, but Casilla beat the throw and Mastroianni alertly hustled home with the lead run. Two more singles by Jamey Carroll and Pedro Florimon upped Minnesota's lead to 6-4.
Glen Perkins earned his 12th save of the season despite giving up a home run to Carlos Santana with two outs in the bottom of the 12th.
Tyler Robertson (2-2) inherited a bases-loaded situation in the bottom of the 10th and recorded the final out. He then retired Cleveland in order in the 11th to notch the win.
"Our bullpen was super. They came in and did a really nice job," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said.
P.J. Walters got the start for Minnesota and allowed four runs -- two earned -- on eight hits in five-plus innings.
David Huff made his first start of the year for the Indians after being recalled from Triple-A Columbus on Sept. 4. The left-hander was tagged for three runs on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings.
Down a run, Cleveland opened the sixth with three straight singles, loading the bases. Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire replaced Walters with Brian Duensing, who struck out Lonnie Chisenhall swinging.
Third baseman Trevor Plouffe was then charged with an error after taking a liner from Casey Kotchman off his right hand. Santana scored the tying run on the play, and Ezequiel Carrera beat out a double-play grounder to give the Indians a 4-3 lead.
Josh Willingham countered with an RBI single for Minnesota in the seventh.
"We fought hard, came back and had the lead in the seventh. We couldn't hold it," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Huff gave up three straight hits to begin the game, with Denard Span scoring on Joe Mauer's single. A sacrifice fly by Justin Morneau brought home Ben Revere.
The Indians got a run back in the bottom of the first when Shin-Soo Choo scored on an Asdrubal Cabrera groundout. Chisenhall then homered to center field with one out in the second to pull the Tribe even.
Minnesota moved back in front in the fourth. Ryan Doumit worked a leadoff walk and Carroll ripped a one-out double down the left-field line before Eduardo Escobar plated Doumit on a 5-3 grounder.
Huff went 2-6 with a 4.09 ERA in 11 games -- 10 starts -- with the Indians last season ... Cleveland finished 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position, while Minnesota left 12 men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Sep 18 11:07 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Michael Brantley due up.
Twins 6, Indians 5 Bot 12, 2 OutsSep 18 11:05 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. singled to right scored Alexi Casilla. On the play, Jamey Carroll thrown out at third to end the inning.
Twins 6, Indians 4 Mid 12Sep 18 10:58 PM
- Alexi Casilla singled to second scored Darin Mastroianni. Runner on first with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 5, Indians 4 Top 12, 2 OutsSep 18 10:54 PM
- Josh Willingham singled to left scored Denard Span. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 4, Indians 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 18 9:17 PM
- Ezequiel Carrera grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Michael Brantley. Casey Kotchman out at second. Russ Canzler advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Twins 3, Indians 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 18 9:04 PM
- Casey Kotchman reached first on Trevor Plouffe's fielding error scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Russ Canzler advances to second and Michael Brantley advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Twins 3, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 18 9:02 PM
- Eduardo Escobar grounded out third to first scored Ryan Doumit. Runner on second with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Twins 3, Indians 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 8:15 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Casey Kotchman due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 18 7:42 PM
- Carlos Santana struck out looking. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 18 7:29 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Joe Mauer out at second to end the inning.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Mid 1Sep 18 7:21 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to left scored Denard Span. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 18 7:14 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21