Rockies slay Giants in slugfestApr 12, 2012 - 5:50 AM
The previous game in the series on Monday saw the Rockies get blanked, but they scored runs in the first five innings in the commanding performance.
Troy Tulowitzki, Michael Cuddyer, Ramon Hernandez and Chris Nelson each drove in two runs for the Rockies, who snapped a three-game skid. Matt Reynolds (1-0) picked up the win for pitching 1 2/3 innings.
Nate Schierholtz homered twice and drove in three runs while Brandon Crawford also homered for the Giants, whose win on Monday was their first of the season. Guillermo Mota (0-1) was charged with five runs -- four earned -- in the fourth inning to take the loss.
Neither starter factored in the decision as Jeremy Guthrie was touched for six runs on nine hits in just 3 1/3 frames for Colorado while Tim Lincecum was banged around for six runs in just 2 1/3 innings for San Fran.
"A lot of the pitches I threw were sloppy," said Lincecum. "I wasn't executing pitches and missing a lot of my throws. That's going to hurt you, especially in this park."
Gonzalez tripled home the first of many runs in the first inning and came home to score when Tulowitzki followed with a groundout. Nelson's RBI single in the second made it a 3-0 game.
The runs kept coming into the third as Gonzalez hit his second triple of the game to score a run and came home on a wild pitch. Hernandez later brought in a run with a single for a 6-0 advantage.
The Giants, though, took the lead in the fourth. Schierholtz and Crawford hit back-to-back home runs to start the inning, and Melky Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval each brought in a run in the frame.
After Matt Reynolds took over on the hill, Hector Sanchez brought home two with a single and a sac fly from Schierholtz made it a 7-6 game.
Colorado got the lead right back in the bottom of the inning as a Gonzalez run-scoring groundout, RBI single from Tulowitzki and RBI double off the bat of Cuddyer gave the team a 9-7 lead.
"We have a good offense here so we weren't too worried after they took the lead," said Gonzalez. "Everyone was seeing their pitches really well and we got good swings on the pitches."
The Rockies then put up a seven-spot of their own in the fifth. Marco Scutaro got things started with an RBI double and scored on a Gonzalez single. Todd Helton then doubled home Gonzalez. After Cuddyer walked, Hernandez singled to score one run and Cuddyer came home on an error on the play from Brett Pill. Nelson then brought home Hernandez with a double and scored himself on a triple from Eric Young.
Schierholtz led off the seventh with his second home run of the season while Cuddyer scored Gonzalez with a double in the eighth to cap the scoring.
Colorado had totaled 10 runs on the season coming into the game...San Francisco had taken eight of nine from Colorado entering the game...Colorado left 11 men on base, but batted 13-for-26 with runners in scoring position...San Francisco committed three errors in the game.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Apr 12 12:26 AM
- Michael Cuddyer double to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 17 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 12 12:19 AM
- Nate Schierholtz lead off Home Run 2 (2) to right. Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 16 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 11 11:44 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Young Jr. triple to left scored Chris Nelson with two out. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 16 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 11:27 PM
- Chris Nelson double to right scored Ramon Hernandez with two out. Runner on second and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 15 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 11:25 PM
- Ramon Hernandez single to center scored Todd Helton and Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Ramon Hernandez advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Chris Nelson due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 14 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 11:24 PM
- Todd Helton double to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 12 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 11:12 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on first with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 11 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 11 11:08 PM
- Jeremy Affeldt enters the game with a runner on second with none out.
Giants 7, Rockies 10 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 11 11:05 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 9 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 11 10:38 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to center scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on first with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 8 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 11 10:35 PM
- Nate Schierholtz sacrifice fly out to right scored Gregor Blanco. On the play, Hector Sanchez advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 6 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 11 10:25 PM
- Hector Sanchez singled to right scored Melky Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Gregor Blanco advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 6 Top 4, 1 OutApr 11 10:18 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to left scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Danny Otero due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 6 Top 4, 1 OutApr 11 10:12 PM
- Brandon Crawford Home Run (1) to center. Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 6 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 11 10:04 PM
- Nate Schierholtz lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 6 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 11 10:01 PM
- Ramon Hernandez singled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Todd Helton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 11 9:49 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez scored on a wild pitch by Tim Lincecum with none out. Troy Tulowitzki at the plate.
Giants 0, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 11 9:45 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on first with one out and Jeremy Guthrie due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 11 9:19 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki grounded out third to first scored Carlos Gonzalez. None on with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 11 9:00 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez tripled to center scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on third with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 11 8:57 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 11 8:43 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21