Dodgers hold off Rockies for first win under new ownersMay 2, 2012 - 5:55 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - A.J. Ellis went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI, Andre Ethier belted a three-run homer, and the newly-owned Dodgers held on for a 7-6 win over the Rockies at Coors Field.
Los Angeles, coming off a 16-win April, spotted starter Ted Lilly a 7-0 lead that dwindled to the smallest of margins heading to the last inning.
On the day the ownership of the club was officially passed from Frank McCourt to Guggenheim Baseball Management LLC, the Dodgers survived thanks to Javy Guerra fanning Carlos Gonzalez with a runner on third for the final out.
"It seems like no lead is really safe," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Those guys seem to do it all the time. ... It was one of those games."
Lilly (3-0) allowed two runs on four hits and one walk in his six-inning start, while his counterpart, Jhoulys Chacin (0-3), was pounded for seven runs on 11 hits and four walks in just 4 2/3 innings.
Down 7-0 in the sixth inning, Gonzalez began Colorado's comeback bid with a two-run homer off Lilly down the right-field line.
The Rockies added three more in the seventh off Josh Lindblom. Ramon Hernandez and Chris Nelson hit consecutive doubles to bring in a run, and Tyler Colvin poked a pinch-hit blast over the wall in right-center.
Troy Tulowitzki tripled high off the wall in right to open the eighth, and Todd Helton followed with a sacrifice fly that was tracked down by Tony Gwynn Jr. at the left-field warning track.
In the ninth, Wilin Rosario hit a pinch-hit, one-out single, then moved into scoring position on a passed ball. Rosario advanced to third after Marco Scutaro hit a sharp ground ball up the middle that was backhanded by Mark Ellis, who threw to first for the second out.
Guerra secured the win and his eighth save by getting Gonzalez to swing at strike three.
"It was a little out of the strike zone," Gonzalez said of the last pitch.
Colorado won the opener of this three-game set, 6-2, but found themselves in a 4-0 hole in the first inning.
Dee Gordon slugged his first career home run on the game's fourth pitch -- a no-doubter that caromed off the second-deck facade in right field.
Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp followed with base hits, and Ethier, on a payoff pitch, cleared the wall in right-center for his sixth home run of the year.
A.J. Ellis doubled home Gwynn in the third and plated Gwynn again two innings later when he went deep over the left-field wall.
Lilly improved to 9-2 in 13 career starts against the Rockies...Gordon's homer came in his 312th career at-bat...Mark Ellis had four of LA's 14 hits...Hernandez went 3-for-4 in defeat.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
May 2 12:05 AM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly out to left scored Troy Tulowitzki with one out. None on and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 1 11:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Tyler Colvin one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Chris Nelson. Eric Young Jr. due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 1 11:03 PM
- Chris Nelson doubled to right scoring Ramon Hernandez with one out. Runner on second and Josh Roenicke due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 1 11:01 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki struck out looking. None on with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 1 10:41 PM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Tony Gwynn Jr.. Ted Lilly due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 1 10:08 PM
- A.J. Ellis doubled to left scoring Tony Gwynn Jr. with one out. Runner on second and Ted Lilly due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 1 9:35 PM
- Andre Ethier none-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp. James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 1 8:50 PM
- Dee Gordon lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 1 8:42 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22