Dodgers edge RockiesMay 13, 2012 - 4:30 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Tony Gwynn Jr. knocked in the go-ahead run with a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the eighth inning and the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Colorado Rockies, 2-1, on Saturday.
Aaron Harang (2-2) got the win over Rockies starter Juan Nicasio, giving up a run on four hits and two walks with two strikeouts in eight innings.
Kenley Jansen struck out one in a perfect ninth inning to wrap up the win, the Dodgers' fourth in their last five games. They won the opener of this three- game series 7-3 on Friday.
Tyler Colvin homered in the seventh to tie the game, but the Rockies lost for the seventh time in eight games.
Nicasio struck out nine in seven innings and gave up just one run on five hits with no walks in a no decision.
"He pounded the strike zone with his fastball and between the slider and the changeup, he had enough to keep them at bay the entire time he was out there," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy.
James Loney scored the go-ahead run after leading off the ninth with a single against Josh Outman (0-1), then going to second on A.J. Ellis' sacrifice bunt off Matt Belisle.
Gwynn hit a soft liner into left-center field on an 0-2 pitch from Belisle to drive him in.
The Dodgers moved to 4-1 on an eight-game homestand, while the Rockies fell to 1-4 on an eight-game road trip.
Harang escaped a bases-loaded jam in the third when he got Troy Tulowitzki out on a 91 mph fastball. Wilin Rosario had doubled to lead off the inning and was later thrown out at home on a fielder's choice.
Later, Carlos Gonzalez was intentionally walked to load the bases for Tulowitzki, who flied out to center field.
"It was a good pitch that he couldn't drive," Harang said. "It was a fastball down and away."
Nicasio faced the minimum through four innings, but the Dodgers got to him in the fifth to break a scoreless tie. Andre Ethier doubled leading off and came around on Juan Uribe's one-out flare to center field.
Colvin's third homer of the season tied the game in the seventh. The two-out blast was roped into the right field seats on a 2-0 pitch.
Colorado was 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and stranded four on base...It was the second time this season that Harang and Nicasio faced each other. Nicasio and the Rockies beat Harang at home on April 30...Gwynn is 4- for-9 (.444) as a pinch-hitter.
- COLORADO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 2
May 12 11:42 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Tony Gwynn Jr. single to left scored James Loney with one out. Runner on second and Dee Gordon due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 12 11:28 PM
- Wilin Rosario struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 1 Mid 7May 12 10:58 PM
- Juan Uribe single to center scored Andre Ethier with one out. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 12 10:28 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 9:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22