Dodgers sweep Rockies thanks to avalanche of runsMay 14, 2012 - 12:31 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - A.J. Ellis hit a three-run homer and Bobby Abreu added a bases-clearing double to fuel a six-run fifth inning as Los Angeles finished off a sweep of Colorado with an 11-5 victory at Dodger Stadium.
Ellis drove in four, while Scott Van Slyke posted two RBI for the Dodgers, winners of four straight and six of eight. One player who was not around for the finish was center fielder Matt Kemp, who departed in the fourth inning with an irritated left hamstring.
Ted Lilly (5-0) gave up five runs -- four earned -- on six hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings but was bailed out by the LA offense.
Carlos Gonzalez drove in a pair of runs and Marco Scutaro picked up two hits, an RBI and scored twice for the Rockies, who skidded to their eighth loss in nine contests.
Alex White (0-2) was rocked for five hits and six runs over 4 1/3 frames.
"Embarrassing. We did everything to set the stage for them to beat us," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy. "You walk nine guys from the fifth inning on, you're going to lose."
Down 4-2, the hosts stole momentum back and took the lead for good in the fifth.
Abreu scored three with his go-ahead, bases-loaded double to right, ending White's day. Matt Reynolds came on and threw a wild pitch that advanced Abreu to third, then fanned Ethier -- who was ejected, along with manager Don Mattingly -- for arguing the call.
James Loney walked and Ellis cleared the wall in left to make it 8-4.
"I had to get a pitch up in the zone. It did come up and I attacked it," said Ellis of his third homer of the season.
A Gonzalez groundout pulled the Rox within three in the seventh, but the Dodgers countered in the home half on an Adam Kennedy squeeze bunt to score Van Slyke, then hit double digits in the eighth on Van Slyke's two-run double.
Colorado got to Lilly for three in the first thanks to RBI singles from Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer plus a Ramon Hernandez groundout.
Kemp's grounder to short scored Tony Gwynn Jr. in the home half.
Ellis singled home Loney in the second but the Rockies got the run back in the fourth as Dexter Fowler walked with one out and eventually came in to score on a Scutaro base hit.
"Going into the first inning, I felt good. I was pretty confident we were going to come back and score runs," Lilly said. "I enjoyed the way we swung the bats. We're just doing things necessary to win games."
Los Angeles improved to 26-13 vs. Colorado at Chavez Ravine since 2008...The Dodgers have won seven of their last eight series at home...LA has recorded four sweeps of at least three games this season, after doing so just three times last year...Lilly improved to 10-2 lifetime against the Rockies...Fowler left the game in the fifth with blurred vision.
- COLORADO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 11
May 13 7:26 PM
- Scott Van Slyke double to center scored Juan Uribe and Mark Ellis with one out. On the play, Bobby Abreu advances to third. Runners on second and third and James Loney due up.
Rockies 5, Dodgers 11 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 13 7:15 PM
- Adam Kennedy sacrifice squeeze bunt to pitcher scored Scott Van Slyke with two out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second. Runner on second and Justin Sellers due up.
Rockies 5, Dodgers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 13 6:54 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded out second to first scored Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to second. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 5, Dodgers 8 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 6:37 PM
- A.J. Ellis two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Bobby Abreu and James Loney. Adam Kennedy due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 13 6:10 PM
- Bobby Abreu doubled to center scored Justin Sellers, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Mark Ellis with one out. Runner on second and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 13 6:01 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded into a double play, second to short to first. On the play, Marco Scutaro out at second to end the inning.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 2 Mid 4May 13 5:30 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored James Loney with none out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Adam Kennedy due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 13 4:53 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded out short to first scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out. None on and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 13 4:36 PM
- Ramon Hernandez grounded out short to first scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 13 4:25 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki pop foul out to first. Runners on first and second with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 13 4:23 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to right scored Marco Scutaro with none out. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 13 4:18 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22