Marlins rally for win on Stanton's slamMay 22, 2012 - 4:12 AM
Austin Kearns went 4-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who started a 10-game homestand on Monday.
Mark Buehrle (4-4) allowed four runs on five hits over 7 2/3 frames to pick up the win. He also had a double and a run scored.
"It's one of those games where the first thing I thought was that it was going to be a long night," said Buehrle. "Right off the bat we're down 4-0 and it ain't looking good. I just had to go out and try to throw as many zeros to try and get us back in the game."
Troy Tulowitzki hit a two-run homer for the Rockies, who have lost five in a row. Michael Cuddyer added two RBI.
Jamie Moyer (2-4) gave up six runs on nine hits over 3 2/3 innings. The 49- year-old struck out five and walked four while falling to 0-3 in four road outings this season.
"I kind of backed myself into a corner with all those walks," said Moyer. "A lot of pitches, deep into the count is not the way to be an efficient pitcher. Ultimately I got what I deserved."
The Rockies scored all four of their runs in the first inning. With one out, Jordan Pacheco reached base on an infield single that deflected off Buehrle's right foot. Carlos Gonzalez followed with a base hit of his own before Cuddyer knocked in both runners with a double off the wall in left. Tulowitzki then hit a homer over the wall in left to make it 4-0.
But Miami's offense got going in the third. Hanley Ramirez hit a bloop double to right-center field and raced home on Kearns' single to left.
The Marlins tacked on five more runs in the fourth to take the lead. With one out, Buehrle hit a double off the wall in right. Jose Reyes followed with a single to left-center field and Buehrle scored on Dexter Fowler's fielding error. Ramirez and Kearns both worked walks to load the bases with two outs. Stanton then smacked a 3-2 pitch just inside the left-field foul pole and off the scoreboard, giving Miami a 6-4 edge.
Kearns added an RBI single in the seventh to give the home team a 7-4 margin.
Randy Choate recorded the final out in the eighth and Heath Bell tossed a scoreless ninth to seal the victory. Bell picked up his sixth save of the year.
Colorado and Miami split six meetings a season ago...It was Stanton's fourth career grand slam...Moyer fell to 13-7 in 20 career starts against the Marlins. The left-hander has now pitched in 50 Major League ballparks. Since 1921, Moyer has pitched in more parks than any other major-league player...The Rockies started a six-game road trip on Monday...Colorado went 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded two.
- COLORADO: 4
May 21 10:12 PM
- Austin Kearns singled to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 21 9:44 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, Grand Slam (9) to left scored Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez and Austin Kearns. Logan Morrison due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 8:39 PM
- Bryan Petersen struck out looking. Runner on first with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 8:27 PM
- Austin Kearns singled to left scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with one out and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 21 8:07 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 21 7:19 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21