Tulowitzki helps Rockies down MarlinsMay 24, 2012 - 3:45 AM
Carlos Gonzalez added two hits, two RBI and a pair of runs scored for Colorado, which had lost 10-of-12 coming in. Alex White (1-3) surrendered four runs on eight hits and a walk in six innings.
"We'd like to see things unfold in the manner in which it did tonight for the next several days," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "We have a couple of great innings tonight."
Carlos Zambrano (2-3) had given up just three earned runs over his past four starts, but was charged with seven runs on five hits and three walks over five frames for the Marlins, who had their three-game winning steak snapped.
"Obviously the Rockies got to us tonight, they're a good hitting team," said Zambrano. "They came in with a six-game losing streak and they were hungrier than us tonight."
Colorado, which plated four first-inning runs on Monday and three on Tuesday, only to lose both games, fell behind 3-0 after two frames on Wednesday before rallying.
After the Rockies tallied three runs in the fourth inning to tie the score, the Marlins again regained the lead with a run in their half of the fourth, but Colorado surged ahead with a four-run fifth.
Ramon Hernandez walked to start it and Marco Scutaro slapped a two-out single three batters later. Gonzalez then slapped a base hit up the middle to plate Hernandez, and Tulowitzki cracked a long three-run shot to left, which gave the Rockies a 7-4 lead.
Colorado added a two-out run in the seventh inning. Scutaro lined a single to center and Gonzalez brought him home after scorching a triple over the head of Bryan Petersen in center, increasing the margin to 8-4.
Matt Belisle tossed a 1-2-3 eight frame and Rafael Betancourt retired the side in order in the ninth to seal the win.
Earlier, Greg Dobbs pulled an RBI single through the hole on the right side to put the Marlins on the board in the opening frame. In the second, Zambrano rolled a run-scoring base hit up the middle and Jose Reyes' RBI single made it 3-0.
The Rockies, though, rallied to tie the score with three runs in the fourth inning. Scutaro and Gonzalez worked back-to-back walks to start the frame and Scutaro crossed home on Tulowitzki's RBI double down the third-base line. Consecutive sacrifice flies by Jason Giambi and Michael Cuddyer made it 3-3.
Miami regained its advantage in the home half of the inning as Brett Hayes, who led off with a double, trotted home from third with two outs on Reyes' sharply hit grounder that handcuffed Giambi at first.
The Marlins were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position while Colorado was 3-for-7...Tulowitzki's home run was his sixth of the season while the two RBI for Gonzalez gave him 34 for the year.
- COLORADO: 8
May 23 9:58 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rockies 8, Marlins 4 Mid 7May 23 9:17 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Marco Scutaro and Carlos Gonzalez. Jason Giambi due up.
Rockies 7, Marlins 4 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 23 8:43 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Ramon Hernandez with two out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runners on first and second with Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 4, Marlins 4 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 23 8:41 PM
- Jose Reyes single to first scored Brett Hayes with two out. Runner on first and Omar Infante due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 23 8:26 PM
- Michael Cuddyer sacrifice fly to right scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. None on and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 3 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 23 8:12 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Marco Scutaro with none out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with Jason Giambi due up.
Rockies 1, Marlins 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 23 8:08 PM
- Jose Reyes single to right scored Bryan Petersen with one out. On the play, Carlos Zambrano advances to second. Runners on first and second with Omar Infante due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 23 7:45 PM
- Carlos Zambrano single to center scored Chris Coghlan with one out. On the play, Bryan Petersen advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jose Reyes due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 23 7:43 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to right scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 7:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21