White, Rockies beat Dodgers to win seriesJun 4, 2012 - 1:46 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Alex White pitched into the seventh and gave up two runs on two hits to guide the Colorado Rockies past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-2, in the finale of a three-game set at Coors Field.
White (2-3) struck out two and walked five over 6 2/3 frames while the Rockies bullpen combined for 2 1/3 shutout innings. Rafael Betancourt tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his 10th save of the season.
"(White) jammed left-handed hitters with his four-seamer, he got the two- seamer in on right handers, broke bats, got ground balls," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "A lot of what you see today is what he's capable of on a regular basis once we get to that point."
Jordan Pacheco, Todd Helton and Marco Scutaro each drove in a run for Colorado, which has won six of its last seven.
Nathan Eovaldi (0-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over 5 2/3 innings.
A.J. Ellis hit a two-run homer for the Dodgers, losers in six of their last seven.
The Rockies went ahead 1-0 in the first. Dexter Fowler singled, stole second then moved to third on a passed ball. Marco Scutaro grounded out to plate Fowler.
Colorado added two more in the sixth to go up 3-0. Scutaro reached on a fielder's choice, moved to second on a Carlos Gonzalez single before advancing to third when Michael Cuddyer flew out. Helton followed with a single to plate Scutaro and a Pacheco double scored Gonzalez.
"We still got a ways to go," Helton said. "We dug ourselves a hole, but we're playing better baseball."
Los Angeles added a pair in the seventh. James Loney worked a walk before Ellis hit a two-run homer.
The Dodgers narrowly missed tying the game in the ninth twice. Ellis and Tony Gwynn Jr. each drove balls deep, but both saw their fly balls die on the warning track to end the game.
"You see what's going on today, and you really can't get too concerned," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We just have to take care of our business. There is still a lot of baseball to be played. It is way too early to be watching the scoreboard and worry about what is going on somewhere else. You just have to take care of your stuff."
Colorado finished its home stand 6-1, outscoring opponents 58-34...The Rockies are 6-13 in day games this season...Gonzalez and Fowler both extended their hitting streaks to eight games...Ellis extended his hitting streak to seven games. Ellis has reached base safely in 41 of 43 games this season...Los Angeles is 5-4 on Sundays this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 3 6:09 PM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored James Loney. Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 3 5:18 PM
- Jordan Pacheco double to right center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runners on second and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 3 5:07 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 3 5:04 PM
- Marco Scutaro ground out third to first scored Dexter Fowler with one out. None on and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 3 3:27 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22