Moss powers A's past RockiesJun 13, 2012 - 6:42 AM
Colorado scored four in the first inning, but Oakland responded with a six-run third, highlighted by a two-run blast from Moss, who was called up from the minors on Wednesday.
He added a solo shot in the fifth while Brandon Inge went 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBI, helping the A's halt a three-game skid.
Bartolo Colon (6-6) got the win, surrendering five runs on nine hits over five innings. Ryan Cook allowed runners to reach first and second in the ninth before recording three straight outs to earn his first career save.
Tyler Colvin and Todd Helton both hit solo home runs for the Rockies, who lost their sixth straight game and fell to 0-7 in interleague play on the season.
"It's a script that we've been following quite a bit," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy. "We did a great job offensively in the first inning and we pitched a very poor third inning."
Jeremy Guthrie (3-5) was charged with seven runs on eight hits over five inning in the setback.
Oakland left the bases loaded in the top of the first and Colvin took advantage in the home half with a leadoff blast to center. Marco Scutaro followed with a triple and Michael Cuddyer plated him with a line drive base hit to center. Chris Nelson and Wil Nieves added consecutive RBI singles later in the frame, but the lead proved fleeting.
Guthrie hit Jemile Weeks to begin the third, then walked Josh Reddick with one down. Seth Smith and Inge followed with back-to-back doubles, pushing three runs across, and Moss' subsequent upper-decker to right-center put the A's on top. They weren't done, however, as Cliff Pennington added a two-out solo blast for a 6-4 advantage.
"I didn't think the team came into the dugout demoralized after giving up the (four) runs," said A's manager Bob Melvin. "Everybody knew you play the full nine innings."
Moss and Helton traded homers in the fifth and Inge capped the scoring with a blast to deep center in the seventh.
Moss was called up from Triple-A Sacramento on June 6. He has three home runs on the season...This is the first time the A's and Rockies are meeting since 2009, when Colorado swept a three-game series.
- OAKLAND: 8
Jun 12 11:49 PM
- Brandon Inge two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 8, Rockies 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 11:05 PM
- Todd Helton one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Athletics 7, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 12 10:35 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run 2 (3) to right. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 7, Rockies 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 12 10:27 PM
- Cliff Pennington two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Bartolo Colon due up.
Athletics 6, Rockies 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 12 9:54 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Brandon Inge. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 5, Rockies 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 12 9:51 PM
- Brandon Inge doubled to left scoring Seth Smith with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 3, Rockies 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 12 9:48 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to center scoring Jemile Weeks and Josh Reddick with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 2, Rockies 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 12 9:47 PM
- Wil Nieves singled to center scoring Todd Helton with two out. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jeremy Guthrie due up.
Athletics 0, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 9:16 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to right scoring Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wil Nieves due up.
Athletics 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 9:13 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to center scoring Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Athletics 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 12 9:05 PM
- Tyler Colvin lead-off Home Run (7) to left center. Marco Scutaro due up.
Athletics 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 12 9:02 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21