Inge lifts A's over RockiesJun 14, 2012 - 6:00 AM
Collin Cowgill hit a sacrifice fly in the ninth to tie the game while Brandon Moss and Seth Smith each had a two-run home run for the Athletics, who have taken the first two of this set after getting swept by Arizona.
"We feel behind a little bit early and then we battled back to where we had a chance in the ninth," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin. "Feels good that we were able to scratch this one out here."
Tom Milone lasted just four innings in the start as he gave up eight runs on seven hits with four walks. The Oakland bullpen, though, pitched five scoreless innings with Jerry Blevins (1-0) twirling two frames to get the win.
Todd Helton hit a grand slam while Michael Cuddyer went 4-for-4 with two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored for the Rockies, who have dropped a season-high seven straight.
"It's a tough loss but we have to come back tomorrow and try to win one here," said Helton. "This is gut-check time and we need to find a way to score more runs than the other team."
Josh Outman was touched for five runs on six hits over five innings with a walk and four strikeouts for Colorado, which has dropped nine straight home games in interleague play.
Oakland had trailed 6-2 early in the game, but chipped away at the lead and made it a one-run game heading to the ninth.
With Rafael Betancourt (1-2) on the mound, Coco Crisp led off with a single and moved to second on a Jemile Weeks sac bunt. After stealing third, Crisp beat the throw to the plate on a Cowgill sac fly to tie the game. Smith then doubled and Josh Reddick was issued an intentional walk. Inge then smacked a double down the left field line for a 10-8 lead.
Ryan Cook came on for the save in the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Cuddyer, but Helton then hit into a double play. Jason Giambi was hit by a pitch to again bring up the tying run to the plate, but Wilin Rosario flew out to right and Cook picked up his second save of the season.
Smith hit a two-run homer in the Oakland first, but Colorado responded with five runs in the bottom of the inning, highlighted by Helton's grand slam and followed later by an RBI single from Outman.
Cuddyer hit a solo homer in the second to make it a four-run game, but Oakland got three back in the fourth on an Inge RBI single and two-run homer by Moss, his fourth of the year.
However, Cuddyer hit his second homer of the game in the bottom of the fourth with Marco Scutaro on base to make it an 8-5 game.
Jonny Gomes smacked a leadoff homer in the sixth and Cowgill's RBI single in the seventh made it a one-run game.
Moss has three home runs in the two games of this set...Helton has seven grand slams in his career...The last time these teams met was in 2009, when Colorado swept a three-game set in Oakland...Alex White pitches for Colorado on Thursday while Jarrod Parker takes the mound for Oakland.
- OAKLAND: 10
Jun 13 11:54 PM
- Brandon Inge double to left scored Seth Smith and Josh Reddick with two out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 10, Rockies 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 13 11:45 PM
- Collin Cowgill sacrifice fly out to right scored Coco Crisp with two out. None on and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 8, Rockies 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 13 11:37 PM
- Seth Smith reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short. On the play, Collin Cowgill out at second as Jemile Weeks advanced to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Athletics 7, Rockies 8 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 13 10:59 PM
- Brandon Inge flied out to center. None on with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 6, Rockies 8 Top 6, 1 OutJun 13 10:28 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (9) to right scored Marco Scutaro. Todd Helton due up.
Athletics 5, Rockies 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 13 9:59 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Josh Donaldson. Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 5, Rockies 6 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 9:48 PM
- Brandon Inge single to center scored Jonny Gomes with one out. Runner on first and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Rockies 6 Top 4, 1 OutJun 13 9:46 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Todd Helton due up.
Athletics 2, Rockies 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 13 9:22 PM
- Dexter Fowler grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Athletics 2, Rockies 5 End 1Jun 13 9:09 PM
- Todd Helton one-out, Grand Slam (7) to right center scored Dexter Fowler, Marco Scutaro and Michael Cuddyer. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Athletics 2, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 13 9:01 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Collin Cowgill. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 13 8:46 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21