Wainwright, Holliday help Cards drop RockiesJul 5, 2012 - 5:13 AM
Wainwright (7-8) allowed one run on eight hits to earn the win. He walked one and struck out seven.
"They put some tough at-bats on me and luckily I was able to work out of some jams," Wainwright said.
Jason Motte worked around a pair of ninth-inning singles to secure his 18th save of the season.
Holliday finished 3-for-4 and scored on David Freese's two-run base hit in the eighth inning for the Cardinals, who have won three of four overall, including two of three in this four-game series.
Jeremy Guthrie (3-8) made his first start since June 17 and was charged with two runs on six hits over six innings in the loss. He added an RBI single for Colorado, which has dropped four of its last five games.
Guthrie cut the Rockies' deficit to 2-1 with his fifth-inning base hit, which came on the heels of Jonathan Herrera's triple.
Colorado, though, would get no closer.
Motte retired two straight to begin the ninth, allowed consecutive singles to Jordan Pacheco and Michael Cuddyer, then struck out Dexter Fowler on four pitches to end the game.
"A lot of what tonight boils down to is missed offensive opportunities," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
John Jay had an RBI and a run scored for St. Louis. He walked and scored from first base on Holliday's double to left field in the first inning.
Jay's RBI came with two down in the second, when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Singles by Yadier Molina, Skip Schumaker and Rafael Furcal preceded the plunking.
The bases were loaded again in the eighth -- this time on hits by Holliday and Carlos Beltran, and an intentional walk to Molina -- when Freese ripped a grounder through the left side of the infield to cap the scoring.
Wainwright improved to 4-1 in nine career appearance -- five starts -- against Colorado. He has allowed two earned runs or less in each of his five starts against the team...Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez extended his hit streak to 12 games. It is the longest hit streak by a Rockies player this season...Guthrie made four relief appearances since his last start.
- COLORADO: 1
ST. LOUIS: 4
Jul 4 10:12 PM
- David Freese singled to left scored Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran with two outs. On the play, Yadier Molina. tagged out at second. Runner on first and Marc Rzepczynski due up.
Rockies 1, Cardinals 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 4 9:55 PM
- Jeremy Guthrie single to right scored Jonathan Herrera with one out. Runner on first and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 1, Cardinals 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 4 8:33 PM
- Jon Jay hit-by-pitch scored Skip Schumaker with two out. Bases loaded and Matt Holliday due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 4 7:56 PM
- Matt Holliday double to left scored Jon Jay with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 4 7:31 PM
- COLORADO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 7:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21