Lynn back in win column, Cardinals top RockiesJul 6, 2012 - 5:53 AM
The Cardinals rookie hurler tossed six shutout innings and earned his 11th win of the season as St. Louis downed the Colorado Rockies, 6-2, in the finale of a four-game set.
Lynn (11-4) fanned seven, scattered four hits and walked two. The 25-year-old right-hander was 0-2 with a 9.98 ERA over his last three outings coming in since his last victory on June 13 against the Chicago White Sox.
"I felt really good the last couple outings, I was just off a little bit mechanically," Lynn said. "Tonight, what we've been working on finally started showing in the game."
Lynn's ERA stood at 2.42 after beating the White Sox. It now sits at 3.41.
Carlos Beltran tallied two hits, including a two-run double as part of a five- run fifth inning for the Cardinals, who have won nine of their last 13 contests.
Jason Motte registered the final out of the game to notch his 19th save of the year.
Christian Friedrich (4-6) surrendered six runs on five hits and three walks for Colorado, which has dropped five of its last six games.
Matt Holliday's RBI groundout in the opening frame got the Cardinals on the board and the home team gave Lynn plenty of cushion following their five-run fifth.
David Freese singled, while Matt Carpenter and Lynn worked back-to-back walks to load the bases with none away. After Rafael Furcal struck out, Jon Jay walked to bring home Freese and Carpenter crossed the plate after Holliday ripped a single to left to make it 3-0.
Tyler Chatwood relieved Friedrich and was greeted by Beltran, who belted a double off the base of the wall in center, plating Lynn and Jay. Allen Craig rolled a grounder to short, pushing across Holliday for a 6-0 advantage.
The Rockies finally got on the board in the eighth when Tyler Colvin smacked a two-run shot to right.
Beltran has 65 RBI on the year...The Cardinals were 2-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base, while Colorado finished 0-for-6 and stranded 10.
- COLORADO: 2
ST. LOUIS: 6
Jul 5 11:26 PM
- Tyler Colvin two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Michael Cuddyer. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 5 10:58 PM
- Allen Craig ground into a fielder's choice scored Matt Holliday. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 5 10:10 PM
- Matt Holliday single to left scored Matt Carpenter. On the play, Jon Jay advances to second and Lance Lynn advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 5 10:00 PM
- Matt Holliday ground out short to first scored Rafael Furcal. None on with two out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 5 8:38 PM
- COLORADO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 8:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21