Posey and Giants dominate RockiesAug 4, 2012 - 5:39 AM
San Francisco had managed just six runs over its previous three games but the offense recorded 16 hits on Friday, including a solo homer from Brett Pill and an RBI triple from Angel Pagan.
Hector Sanchez added a two-run, pinch-hit double for the Giants, who are in first place in the NL West despite going just 2-7 over their last nine games.
"We don't score like that very often," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We were in a pretty good funk there. It was a matter of time."
Ryan Vogelsong (9-5) improved to 5-0 lifetime against Colorado, allowing four runs on five hits over 6 1/3 frames. He walked two and struck out seven.
It marked just the second time in 20 starts this season that Vogelsong allowed more than three runs.
Rookie Wilin Rosario homered for the second straight game, belting a two-run shot in the seventh for the Rockies, losers in six of their last seven contests.
Jonathan Sanchez (0-3) lasted just three innings against his former team, giving up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits. The lefty has dropped nine straight decisions overall and is 0-3 since being acquired from the Royals on July 20.
Vogelsong had allowed three or fewer runs in a San Francisco single-season record 16 straight starts, but the streak ended in the seventh inning courtesy of a sacrifice fly from Carlos Gonzalez, an RBI double from Todd Helton and Rosario's 18th homer of the year.
The outburst got the Rockies on the board, but "unfortunately we were down by seven by the time that it occurred," pointed out Colorado manager Jim Tracy.
In fact, the Giants had pushed four runs across in the top of the frame, which began with Vogelsong's double. Pagan followed with a triple and Theriot walked before Cabrera doubled home both runners.
Marco Scutaro, who was acquired from the Rockies prior to the trade deadline, capped the frame with an RBI groundout and added a run-scoring single after Sanchez's pinch-hit double in the ninth.
The Giants' other notable trade-deadline acquisition, Hunter Pence, contributed with an RBI groundout in the first inning. Pagan began that frame with a double and scored on Theriot's base hit.
Posey's homer -- his 15th of the season -- came during a six-run eighth. Theriot had an RBI single earlier in the inning before a pair of runs crossed the plate on two separate wild pitches by Matt Reynolds.
Vogelsong has made 11 career appearances (six starts) against Colorado. His streak of allowing three runs or fewer was the longest in Giants history since Scott Garrelts managed the feat in 17 straight starts over the 1989 and 1990 seasons...Sanchez hasn't recorded a win since his first start of the season on April 8.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 16
Aug 4 12:03 AM
- Brett Pill popped out to third to end the inning.
Giants 16, Rockies 4 Mid 9Aug 3 11:56 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Hector Sanchez double to right scored Gregor Blanco and Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 15, Rockies 4 Top 9, 1 OutAug 3 11:49 PM
- Buster Posey none-out, three-run Home Run (15) to center scored Ryan Theriot and Melky Cabrera. Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 13, Rockies 4 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 3 11:26 PM
- Melky Cabrera walked. Bases loaded with none out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 9, Rockies 4 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 3 11:23 PM
- Ryan Theriot single to left scored Joaquin Arias with none out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second and Gregor Blanco advances to third. Bases loaded and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 4 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 3 11:19 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Todd Helton. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 3 11:02 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly out to center scored Dexter Fowler with one out. None on and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 3 10:56 PM
- Brett Pill flied out to left to end the inning.
Giants 7, Rockies 0 Mid 7Aug 3 10:51 PM
- Buster Posey grounded out short to first. Runner on second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 0 Top 7, 1 OutAug 3 10:46 PM
- Brett Pill lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 3 9:44 PM
- Hunter Pence stole second. Runners on second and third with one out and Marco Scutaro at the plate.
Giants 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 3 8:55 PM
- Ryan Theriot single to center scored Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 3 8:45 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21