Posey's power boosts Giants over Rockies againAug 5, 2012 - 5:27 AM
The NL West-leading Giants had managed just six combined runs over their previous three games before exploding for a season-high 16 runs in Friday's series opener. They have now scored four or more runs in nine straight games at Coors Field.
"Hopefully that gives them confidence and gets them relaxed a little bit," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of his team's offensive outbursts. "
On Saturday, Posey hit a two-run homer in the first and added a run-scoring single during a four-run eighth. Angel Pagan added a ninth-inning solo shot and drove in three while Melky Cabrera also homered for San Francisco, which will look for the sweep of this three-game set on Sunday.
Madison Bumgarner (12-6) got the win, allowing one run on five hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over six innings. He improved to 5-5 on the road this season, compared to 7-1 at home.
Josh Rutledge hit a solo homer and Matt McBride, who was called up earlier Saturday, went 2-for-4 with an RBI double for the Rockies, losers in seven of their last eight games.
"We're not disappointed with six runs and 14 hits and a lot of young kids out there on the field," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said of his team.
Jeff Francis (3-4) had won four of his previous five starts against San Francisco but lasted just 3 2/3 innings, giving up six runs on nine hits in the setback.
Posey leads the National League with 25 RBI since the All-Star break. His two- out, first-inning blast to left scored Cabrera, who added a solo shot in the third -- his 11th homer of the year -- and later worked a bases-loaded walk in the fourth.
Joaquin Arias and Pagan added RBI singles during that frame, which saw the Giants take a commanding 6-0 lead.
Rutledge hit a one-out solo shot in the sixth and McBride doubled home Ramon Hernandez an inning later before scoring on Jonathan Herrera's single, making it 6-3.
The Giants, though, extended their advantage in the eighth, which began with Brandon Belt's double. Pagan followed with an RBI single, advanced to second on a throwing error by Wilin Rosario and stole third before coming home on Ryan Theriot's Tobago. Posey later plated Theriot with a single and Gregor Blanco capped the frame with a pinch-hit sac fly.
In the bottom half, Dexter Fowler scored on Sergio Romo's wild pitch before Hernandez doubled home Carlos Gonzalez.
Pinch-hitter DJ LeMahieu sealed the final result with an RBI single in the home ninth.
Posey has 16 homers on the season and six since the All-Star break...Fourteen of the Giants' 17 multi-home run games this season have come on the road...Earlier Saturday, the Rockies placed outfielder Michael Cuddyer and pitcher Christian Friedrich on the 15-day disabled list, selected the contract of McBride from Triple-A Colorado Springs and recalled pitcher Edgmer Escalona from the same club.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 11
Aug 4 11:38 PM
- Pinch-Hitter DJ LeMahieu singled to short scoring Eric Young Jr. with two out. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Giants 11, Rockies 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 4 11:35 PM
- Angel Pagan one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 11, Rockies 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 4 11:21 PM
- Ramon Hernandez doubled to center scoring Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second and Matt McBride due up.
Giants 10, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 4 11:07 PM
- With Ramon Hernandez batting, Dexter Fowler scored on a Sergio Romo wild pitch with one out. Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runner on second and Ramon Hernandez at the plate.
Giants 10, Rockies 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 4 11:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gregor Blanco sacrifice fly out to center scored Melky Cabrera with two out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 10, Rockies 3 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 4 10:53 PM
- Buster Posey singled to left scoring Ryan Theriot with none out. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 9, Rockies 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 4 10:47 PM
- Ryan Theriot doubled to left scoring Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on second and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 4 10:42 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to left scoring Brandon Belt with none out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second on Wilin Rosario's throwing error. Runner on second and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 4 10:41 PM
- Jonathan Herrera singled to center scoring Matt McBride with none out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 4 10:29 PM
- Matt McBride doubled to right scoring Ramon Hernandez with none out. Runner on second and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 4 10:27 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez walked. Runner on first with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 4 10:05 PM
- Melky Cabrera walked scoring Madison Bumgarner with two out. Bases loaded and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 4 9:13 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to left scoring Joaquin Arias with two out. On the play, Madison Bumgarner advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 4 9:08 PM
- Joaquin Arias singled to left scoring Marco Scutaro with one out. On the play, Brett Pill advances to third. Runners on first and third and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 4 9:05 PM
- Melky Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 4 8:45 PM
- Buster Posey two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Melky Cabrera. Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 4 8:15 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21