LeMahieu's career night helps Rox down BrewersAug 14, 2012 - 4:57 AM
Colorado pounded out 15 hits and seven different players recorded at least one RBI to help the Rockies snap a three-game losing streak at home.
"Offensively we continued to do some of the things that have made us successful over the past week," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "Just a very well played game and good offense up and down throughout our lineup."
Jeff Francis (4-4) was charged for three runs on six hits and two walks over 5 1/3 innings to earn his first victory in his last four starts.
Mike Fiers (6-5) had won his last three starts, including an eight-inning gem against the Cincinnati Reds on August 7 in which he carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning.
He couldn't make it four in a row however, as the Rockies tagged him for eight runs on nine hits over just two-plus innings.
"The command of the fastball and the off-speed stuff wasn't there," admitted Brewers manager Ron Roenicke of his starter. "(He) missed his location in some areas where we knew those guys were good."
Carlos Gomez belted a two-run homer and Rickie Weeks added a three-run shot in the ninth, but the Brewers lost for the 12th time in their last 13 road games.
The Rockies wasted little time getting on the board in the first as Eric Young Jr. ripped a leadoff double and quickly scored as Jonathan Herrera pulled a single through the right side of the infield for a 1-0 lead.
Dexter Fowler followed with a double into right-center field to put runners on second and third before a groundout from Carlos Gonzalez plated Herrera and a sacrifice fly from Wilin Rosario gave the home team a 3-0 edge.
Colorado tacked on a run in their next at-bat as Chris Nelson doubled to start the frame, moved to third on a single and scored two batters later on Young's groundout to shortstop.
The offensive onslaught continued in the third as Fowler and Gonzalez clubbed consecutive singles, with Gonzalez plating Fowler for a 5-0 advantage.
After Gonzalez stole second, Rosario singled to put runners on the corners before Tyler Colvin stroked an RBI double to right for a 6-0 lead.
Fiers' day was done without recording an out in the third, but the runs kept pouring in as Nelson and LeMahieu clubbed back-to-back RBI singles to make it 8-0.
Milwaukee got a run back in the fourth on Corey Hart's RBI groundout and added two more in the sixth on Gomez's two-run blast into the left-field seats to bring the Brewers within 8-3.
LeMahieu smacked his fourth hit of the night in the seventh on a two-out, RBI single to center before Weeks crushed a three-run homer in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Fowler was the only position player for the Rockies without an RBI...Will Harris made his major league debut in the ninth for the Rockies and served up Weeks' home run...Francis is now in sole possession of second place with 59 career wins as a Rockie, trailing only Aaron Cook (72)...Milwaukee went 1- for-6 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Aug 13 11:26 PM
- Rickie Weeks two-out, three-run Home Run (13) to left scored Carlos Gomez and Travis Ishikawa. Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 6, Rockies 9 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 13 11:25 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to center scored Wilin Rosario. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adam Ottavino due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 11:00 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. Cody Ransom due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 8 Top 6, 1 OutAug 13 10:25 PM
- Corey Hart grounded out short to first scored Aramis Ramirez. None on with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 8 Top 4, 1 OutAug 13 9:51 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to right scored Tyler Colvin. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jeff Francis due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 8 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:42 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to center scored Wilin Rosario. On the play, On the play, Chris Nelson to second and Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 7 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:42 PM
- Tyler Colvin doubled to right scored Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Chris Nelson due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:37 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on first with none out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 13 9:29 PM
- Eric Young Jr. grounded out short to first scored Chris Nelson. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 13 9:11 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Brewers 0, Rockies 3 End 1Aug 13 8:57 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded out second to first scored Jonathan Herrera. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 13 8:54 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 13 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21