Rockies complete 4-game sweep of MetsAug 23, 2012 - 8:48 PM
Rex Brothers (8-2) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief, while Matt Belisle left the tying run on second in the ninth to secure his first save of the season for Colorado, which has won five straight overall.
Collin McHugh made his major-league debut for New York and gave up just two hits and a walk while striking out nine over seven innings in a no decision.
"I was really impressed," Mets manager Terry Collins said about McHugh. "He did exactly what we wanted him to do."
Bobby Parnell (2-3) surrendered the game's lone run to take the loss for the Mets, who have dropped five straight.
The Rockies, who did not advance a runner past first base after stranding a man on third in the first inning, broke the scoreless tie in the eighth when Nelson followed Tyler Colvin's leadoff triple with a base hit up the middle.
New York, meanwhile, squandered McHugh's impressive outing by leaving a runner on second base in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth and seventh innings. The Mets hit 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base over that span.
The trend continued into the final two frames as Will Harris worked around a two-out double by Ruben Tejada in the eighth inning before Belisle stranded Justin Turner on second in the ninth by inducing a pair of fly outs by Daniel Murphy and David Wright.
McHugh got the start in place of Johan Santana, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with back problems that have been plaguing him all season ... Tyler Chatwood allowed three hits and walked three in a three- inning start for Colorado ... New York finished the game hitting 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 12 men on base ... The Mets have been held to two runs or less in their last six games ... Colorado has won eight straight games at Citi Field dating back to April 11, 2011.
- COLORADO: 1
NEW YORK: 0
Aug 23 4:22 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to center scored Tyler Colvin. Runner on first with none out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 0 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 23 3:44 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 1:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21