Rosario, Rockies down DodgersAug 29, 2012 - 5:13 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Wilin Rosario clubbed a solo home run, knocked in three and scored twice as the Colorado Rockies downed the Los Angeles Dodgers, 8-4, in the middle contest of a three-game set Tuesday at Coors Field.
Andrew Brown registered three hits, an RBI and a run scored, while Jordan Pacheco added an RBI and scored twice for the Rockies, who won for the eighth time in their last 10 games.
Tyler Chatwood (4-3) allowed just two runs on five hits and three walks over five frames to earn the victory.
"Another really good game," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "A good game because once again we pitched very effectively and I thought our offensive approach was terrific."
Chris Capuano (11-10) was tagged for six runs on 10 hits over six frames to take the loss. Hanley Ramirez clubbed a solo shot in the setback, the Dodgers' third in a row.
The Dodgers received a scare in the bottom of the first inning when Matt Kemp ran full-speed into the center-field wall while tracking a fly ball off the bat of Josh Rutledge.
Kemp crashed violently into the padded wall and remained on the warning track, as Rutledge cruised into third with a triple.
The training staff rushed out to check on Kemp, who eventually got back to his feet and remained in the contest.
Kemp was then unable to make a diving catch when Pacheco lofted a fly ball into shallow right-center field, allowing Rutledge to score before Rosario ripped a single into center, plating Pacheco for a 2-0 edge.
Kemp then signaled for the training staff and left the contest as Juan Rivera took over in left field and Shane Victorino slid over to center field.
"I think it's frightening," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Kemp's injury. "Contusion on the knee they're saying, but they're still going to get an MRI on it. He had to get stitches on his chin. No concussion symptoms...also going to get a cat scan on his jaw."
Chris Nelson then grounded out, but Brown delivered a two-out single to score Rosario and DJ LeMahieu followed with an RBI double to extend the lead to 4-0.
The Dodgers answered in the second as Andre Ethier smacked a one-out double and Adam Kennedy singled to put runners on the corners.
A.J. Ellis then lifted a sacrifice fly into center field to score Ethier and bring LA within 4-1.
Rivera made his presence felt in the third when he robbed Pacheco of a home run with a leaping catch at the wall for the first out of the frame, but Rosario then crushed the next pitch deep into left field that Rivera had no chance of bringing back as the Rockies took a 5-1 lead.
LA loaded the bases in the fourth as Adrian Gonzalez walked before Ramirez and Ethier smacked back-to-back singles.
Chatwood was able to minimize the damage however, getting Adam Kennedy to ground into a double play, which scored Gonzalez, before striking out Capuano after an intentional walk to Ellis.
Colorado added a run in the bottom half when Charlie Blackmon doubled, moved to second on Chatwood's bunt and then scored on a single from Tyler Colvin that skipped off the glove of Ramirez at shortstop.
The Rockies tacked on two more in the seventh as Rutledge ripped a one-out double and scored two batters later on a single from Rosario. Nelson's groundout then plated Pacheco, who had singled, for an 8-2 lead.
Rivera plated a run with a sacrifice fly in the eighth and Ramirez's solo shot in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Rockies have now won six of their eight home meetings with the Dodgers this season ... The homer for Rosario ties Carlton Fisk for 6th on the MLB all-time home run list by rookie catchers. Fisk hit 22 in 1972 ... LA went 2- for-7 with runners in scoring position and left five on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 28 11:31 PM
- Hanley Ramirez lead-off Home Run (21) to right center. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 11:17 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly out to left scored Mark Ellis with two out. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 8 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 28 11:05 PM
- Chris Nelson grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scoring Jordan Pacheco with two out. Wilin Rosario out at second. Runner on first and Andrew Brown due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 28 10:56 PM
- Wilin Rosario singled to center scoring Josh Rutledge with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 28 10:54 PM
- Josh Rutledge flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 28 10:10 PM
- Adam Kennedy grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scoring Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Andre Ethier out at second. Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runner on third and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 5 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 28 9:56 PM
- DJ LeMahieu lined out to second to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 5 End 3Aug 28 9:48 PM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly out to center scored Andre Ethier with two out. Runner on first and Chris Capuano due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 4 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 9:23 PM
- DJ LeMahieu doubled to center scoring Andrew Brown with two out. Runner on second and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 9:13 PM
- Andrew Brown singled to left scoring Wilin Rosario with two out. On the play, Andrew Brown advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 9:11 PM
- With Chris Nelson batting, Wilin Rosario advances to second on a Chris Capuano wild pitch. Runner on second with one out and Chris Nelson at the plate.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 28 9:09 PM
- Jordan Pacheco doubled to right scoring Josh Rutledge with one out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 28 9:04 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22