Giants take series in ColoradoSep 13, 2012 - 6:32 AM
Joaquin Arias and Brandon Crawford added two RBI apiece for the NL West- leading Giants, who have won four of their last six.
Tim Lincecum (9-14) surrendered three runs on six hits and four walks with eight strikeouts over six innings to win his fifth straight road start.
"He has really elevated his game," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. "He's gotten on track, which is huge for us. Some of the other guys have had some hiccups and he has picked us up."
Jeff Francis (5-5) was touched for five runs on seven hits over three innings to take the loss for Colorado, which lost for the eighth time in 10 games.
Wilin Rosario homered and knocked in two runs in defeat.
San Francisco wasted no time in getting on the board as Gregor Blanco led off the game with a triple and came home Scutaro's base hit to center field.
Scutaro then moved to third on a single by Buster Posey and Hunter Pence's fielder's choice before crossing the plate on an Arias base hit through the left side of the infield. Hector Sanchez's RBI single to left field and Crawford's two-run double to right field gave the Giants a 5-0 advantage.
"It's always tough when you're down by that many runs," Carlos Gonzalez said. "Obviously you want to have the game close so you feel much better at the plate."
Colorado answered with a run in bottom of the first when Gonzalez worked a two-out walk, advanced to second on a balk and scored on Rosario's single to left field.
After the Rockies failed to cut into their deficit further in the second inning by leaving the bases loaded, Rosario made it a 5-2 game in the third inning with a solo shot to left field.
But the Giants got a run back in the sixth inning when Crawford hit a leadoff double, moved to third on Lincecum's sacrifice bunt and raced home on Scutaro's two-out single.
Chris Nelson hit a one-out single and rounded the bases on Charlie Blackmon's pinch-hit double to right field in the bottom of the sixth to bring the Rockies back within 6-3, but they would get no closer and Pence knocked in Scutaro with a triple and came home on Arias' sacrifice fly in the ninth inning to account for the final margin.
Lincecum improved to 10-7 in 22 career starts against the Rockies ... Francis fell to 7-8 in 18 career starts against San Francisco ... The Giants have not lost a series on the road since dropping 2-of-3 at Pittsburgh from July 6-8 ... San Francisco leads the season series between the teams 10-4.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Sep 13 12:09 AM
- Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly to center scored Hunter Pence. None on with two outs and Jeremy Affeldt due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 12 11:53 PM
- Dexter Fowler struck out swinging to end the inning.
Giants 6, Rockies 3 End 6Sep 12 10:54 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Brandon Crawford. Runner on first with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 12 10:37 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 12 9:51 PM
- Gregor Blanco lined out to center. None on with one out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 1 Top 2, 1 OutSep 12 9:17 PM
- Brandon Crawford double to right scored Joaquin Arias and Hector Sanchez. Runner on second with two outs and Tim Lincecum due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 12 8:58 PM
- Hector Sanchez single to left scored Hunter Pence. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 12 8:55 PM
- Brandon Belt struck out swinging. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 12 8:54 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Gregor Blanco. Runner on first with none out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 12 8:42 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21