Carroll comes through, Twins tame TigersMay 17, 2012 - 5:19 AM
Brian Dozier belted a three-run homer, Trevor Plouffe added a two-run shot and Josh Willingham went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and another driven in for Minnesota, which was coming off a 3-6 homestand and had lost 18 of its previous 22 meetings against Detroit.
"It's a big [win]. They're all big right now," said Plouffe. "We're trying to scrape them together and get a couple in a row. To come into Detroit and out- slug them, that says a lot about our team."
Nick Blackburn, coming off his first win of the season, lasted just two innings after surrendering six runs on six hits, but the Twins bullpen combined to give up one run on five hits over the next seven frames.
Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder each drove in a pair for a Tigers club trying to put a 4-5 road trip behind it.
Detroit starter Rick Porcello didn't fare much better than his counterpart, as he allowed six runs -- only two earned -- on six hits over four frames.
Eleven runs were scored in the first two innings, and the Tigers were on top, 7-6 following Cabrera's RBI double in the fifth.
Alex Burnett (1-0) stranded runners on the corners that inning, and the Twins took the lead in their next turn when Carroll doubled off Duane Below (2-1) to bring home Ryan Doumit and Alexi Casilla.
Casilla tacked on another run in the seventh with a bases-loaded single, and Plouffe took Collin Balester deep to left for a two-run shot in the ninth.
Glen Perkins faced the minimum in the ninth to cap Minnesota's stellar relief effort.
"It's frustrating," said Fielder about hitting well and still losing. "It happens. We just didn't get it done."
Run-scoring doubles from Joe Mauer and Willingham were countered by Fielder's sacrifice fly in the home first.
Dozier, in his 10th game since having his contract selected from Triple-A Rochester, made it 5-1 with his round-tripper in the second, but Detroit put up a five-spot in the home half.
Four of the Tigers' runs came on consecutive RBI hits from Ramon Santiago, Austin Jackson, Andy Dirks and Cabrera. The last crossed on Fielder's sac fly.
Doumit plated Willingham in the third to tie it.
Jackson departed in the fourth inning after suffering an abdominal strain...Twins first baseman Justin Morneau went 1-for-5 in his return from the disabled list...Dirks had three hits for Detroit, which committed four errors.
- MINNESOTA: 11
May 16 10:32 PM
- Alexi Casilla walked. Runner on first with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 11, Tigers 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 16 10:25 PM
- Alexi Casilla single to right scored Josh Willingham with two out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second and Justin Morneau advances to third. Bases loaded and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 9, Tigers 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 16 9:40 PM
- Jamey Carroll double to left scored Ryan Doumit and Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on second and Erik Komatsu due up.
Twins 8, Tigers 7 Top 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:10 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to center scored Andy Dirks with none out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 16 8:51 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to center scored Josh Willingham with one out. Runner on first and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 6 Top 3, 1 OutMay 16 8:16 PM
- Prince Fielder sacrifice fly to right scored Andy Dirks with two out. Runner on first and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 16 8:01 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to right scored Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to third. Runners on first and third and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 5 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 8:00 PM
- Andy Dirks single to center scored Ramon Santiago with one out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 7:58 PM
- Austin Jackson single to center scored Brennan Boesch with one out. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andy Dirks due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 7:56 PM
- Ramon Santiago single to center scored Ryan Raburn with one out. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to third. Runners on first and third and Austin Jackson due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 7:55 PM
- Brian Dozier two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jamey Carroll and Erik Komatsu. Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 16 7:40 PM
- Prince Fielder sacrifice fly to left scored Austin Jackson with two out. Runner on second and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 2, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 16 7:28 PM
- Josh Willingham double to left scored Joe Mauer with one out. Runner on second and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 2, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 16 7:15 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22